Turn on thread page Beta

This is asked probably a lot

But I have a presentation in 2 weeks and here’s thing

I’ve done them in school but my problem is

When I speak to public or it’s mainly if I’m doing a presentation or speech because I don’t mind speaking to public lol it’s just them

And here is what is going to ruin it a lot

When I start to talk at first before it’s my go I keep swallowing and swallowing BUT reason why

Well rather because I’m nervous but reason I swollow is when I start speaking only during presentations I am in a middle of a sentence and I swallow literally and it stops me from speaking IT IS SO BAD

Also when I speak I sound like I’m shivering A tiny bit

Here’s the funny thing

When I get into like 3rd slide I get a bit into it and I’m fine but the beginning is the important one tho because starting bad is bad

So I’ve tried doing the take deep breathes I don’t know what to try anymore because I can’t stop

Also it don’t help me calm don’t deep breathes either so it don’t work

What else can I do ? Is there some sort of medicine drug I can take to make me feel confident or something otherwise I will never overcome this also it’s next 2 Tuesday I have it so what do I do to STOP this swallowing stuttering voice

I don’t tend to stutter it’s more like I stop and swallow or I clear my throat ALOT and stop

Idk what this is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

When I speak to public or it’s mainly if I’m doing a presentation or speech because I don’t mind speaking to public lol it’s just them

When I start to talk at first before it’s my go I keep swallowing and swallowing BUT reason why

Well rather because I’m nervous but reason I swollow is when I start speaking only during presentations I am in a middle of a sentence and I swallow literally and it stops me from speaking IT IS SO BAD

Here’s the funny thing

When I get into like 3rd slide I get a bit into it and I’m fine but the beginning is the important one tho because starting bad is bad

So I’ve tried doing the take deep breathes I don’t know what to try anymore because I can’t stop

What else can I do ? Is there some sort of medicine drug I can take to make me feel confident or something otherwise I will never overcome this also it’s next 2 Tuesday I have it so what do I do to STOP this swallowing stuttering voice

I don’t tend to stutter it’s more like I stop and swallow or I clear my throat ALOT and stop

Idk what this is
    I'm autistic, and I'm confused and slightly offended by why you think this is autism.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

Here’s the funny thing

Idk what this is
    Its not autism

I think you just have a a phobia of public speaking maybe?

ReputationRep:
    thats called anxiety my dude, nowhere near autism (though anxiety can be a symptom of another disorder and it can stems off of that, such as with asperger's or ADHD- which I have). please excuse me for this next remark also, but anxiety like that is a lot.. simpler to understand and treat, whereas autism is a condition that inhibits a persons neurological functioning long-term. autism cant be treated generally (theres medications and cbt for adhd for example but these only help to control symptoms, they don't at all get rid of the disorder/learning difficulty).
    what you're describing is a panic or an anxiety attack, which is quite common when put in scary social situations such as presenting in front of a crowd of people. it can be treated with medication if you speak to your GP, and counselling or CBT will mainly be able to help restructure your way of thinking for it- as time and self-teaching is what has helped mine.

It's nerves not autism jeez
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Here’s the funny thing

Idk what this is
    Hi there. This sounds like it's probably more along the lines of anxiety than autism. With autism your brain is wired a bit differently so you don't see things or respond to things quite the same way as "normal" people. That can include issues with speaking, but it's in a different way. Some classic things relating to autism are difficulty understanding social cues like body language or sarcasm. It's those sorts of things that make social skills difficult for people with autism and can cause anxiety relating to it.
    Here's a video that explains autism to give you a bit of a better idea of what it is:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4G0HTIUBlI

As far as what you are experiencing goes I would suggest getting in touch with somebody like your school counsellor or maybe your GP who can give you some good advice. If you have somewhat of a stutter it may be a speach therapist would be helpful. Your school and/ or GP can help you with that sort of thing so go have a chat with them and see what they can do.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    It's nerves not autism jeez
    Quite. Which is is completely normal. You'd have to have far more symptoms to have Autism.

ReputationRep:
    a phobia of public speaking is not the same as autism

and tbh this doesn't even sound like a proper phobia since it's only really affecting the first 30 second of a presentation, it's just normal nerves and you happen to have a slight nervous twitch

drinking some water immediately before starting (even taking a bottle with you if possible) could help, otherwise it's just a case of breaking the habit so practice your speech a lot and perhaps that will help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)
    I'm autistic, and I'm confused and slightly offended by why you think this is autism.
    I'm offended too. My daughter is autistic.
    it's normal to have anxiety when public speaking. it goes away with practice. it is no way autism.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It is not autism, and also not a phobia of public speaking as others have mentioned.

It’s simply anxiety, and it’s normal! Your doctor can prescribe you medication for it if they feel it’s appropriate, beta-blockers (propranolol). These reduce the physical symptoms of anxiety such as palpitations, and shaking.

Honestly what you’re experiencing is normal

ReputationRep:
    This sounds more like social anxiety or something...either that or a phobia as others have mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    keep a bottle of water with you and drink it when you need to

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2018
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.