Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    State whether the following mappings are functions, and is they are one-one, one-many,many-one or many-many relations.

a) x^2+y^2=1
    b) y=x^4
    c) y = √x (x ≥0)

For the first mapping it is not a function but I am not sure what type of relation it is. In addition, for the second I think it is a one-many relation and the third I am not sure altogether.

Then : find fg(x) and gf(x)
    When f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = 2x+3

Would fg(x) be (2x+3)^2;
    because f(g(x)) then substitute the value of g into f

Likewise gf(x) = 2x^2 +3
    because g(f(x)) then substitute the value of f into g= 2x^2 +3

Finally,
    If f(x) =x^2+4 find the inverse function of f^-1(x).
    For this would I find the inverse of f^-1(x) or the first function?

In either case the inverse function of f(x)=x^2+4 = ±√x-4
    Or for the second function f^-1(x) = fx

Are these correct?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by AliceAM342)
    State whether the following mappings are functions, and is they are one-one, one-many,many-one or many-many relations.

a) x^2+y^2=1
    b) y=x^4
    c) y = √x (x ≥0)

For the first mapping it is not a function but I am not sure what type of relation it is.
    Correct, it's not a function. But note that a single y value (between -1 and 1) corresponds to two distinct x values (between -1 and 1). Similarly, a single x value corresponds to two y values. So the relation is...?

In addition, for the second I think it is a one-many relation
    Not quite. A single x value corresponds to a single y value. But, a single y value corresponds to two x values.

and the third I am not sure altogether.
    Same procedure, how many values does a chosen x output? How many values does a chosen y output?

When f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = 2x+3 ... Would fg(x) be (2x+3)^2 ... Likewise gf(x) = 2x^2 +3
    These are correct.

Finally,
    If f(x) =x^2+4 find the inverse function of f^-1(x).
    For this would I find the inverse of f^-1(x) or the first function?
    In either case the inverse function of f(x)=x^2+4 = ±√x-4
    That's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Correct, it's not a function. But note that a single y value (between -1 and 1) corresponds to two distinct x values (between -1 and 1). Similarly, a single x value corresponds to two y values. So the relation is...?

Not quite. A single x value corresponds to a single y value. But, a single y value corresponds to two x values.

RDKGames

Same procedure, how many values does a chosen x output? How many values does a chosen y output?

These are correct.

That's fine.
    For the first mapping would it be a many-many relation because , as you said, there is a single y value to two x values and a single x value to two y values, this mapping has single y and x values so would the other value then correspond at two of the value?
    For the second mapping would it be a one-many relation , which is not a function,?
    And for the third mapping would it be a one-many relation again (not a function) because there is a singular y value and multiple x values?

Thank you for your comments on the other questions.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For the first mapping would it be a many-many relation because , as you said, there is a single y value to two x values and a single x value to two y values, this mapping has single y and x values so would the other value then correspond at two of the value?
    Correct, but I don't understand your question.

For the second mapping would it be a one-many relation , which is not a function,?
    Not quite.

And for the third mapping would it be a one-many relation again (not a function) because there is a singular y value and multiple x values?
    Not quite. One-many means a single x outputs multiple y.

ReputationRep:
    Would the second mapping be a many-one relation, because there is a single y value to 4 x values.
    For the third mapping would it be a many- one relation, because there is a single y value to 2 x values?

RDKGames
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Would the second mapping be a many-one relation, because there is a single y value to 4 x values.
    Yes it's many-one, but a single y only corresponds to two x values, not four.

For the third mapping would it be a many- one relation, because there is a single y value to 2 x values?
    No. Think about what you're saying - can you give an example where two different x \geq 0 values output a single y value for y=\sqrt{x} ? More importantly, do you know how this function even looks like?

ReputationRep:
    I’m sorry I am confused by the last mapping and cannot answer your question. I had been doing mappings, functions etc. But not with equations until now, only a series of numbers for the domain and range.

I thought that there were 4 x values because the second mapping has x^4.

For the third mapping I am lost, sorry 😯

RDKGames
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    For the third mapping I am lost, sorry 😯

RDKGames
    It's a one-one mapping. For each x \geq 0 you get a single output, and each y \geq 0 corresponds to a single input.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    It's a one-one mapping. For each x \geq 0 you get a single output, and each y \geq 0 corresponds to a single input.
    Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. I understand (mainly) the third mapping.

I will do some research to understand this topic more.
    Thank you 😊 RDKGames

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 16, 2018
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.