Turn on thread page Beta

My friends don't understand my introversion watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm an introvert but my friends don't understand it. Whenever someone was to invite me to a big party and saying everyone will be there, but I don't go and say I didn't want to go in the first place. They think I'm weird. I also read a lot, and when I say that I prefer to go to the library or a bookstore they say that I have the mental age of an old person or that I'm a such a bookworm. They are joking but I really want them to understand that I'm an introvert but It still kinda bugs me that they think I want to be this sad loner.

It might be possible that they see your introvert behaviour as not wanting to be with them or do things with them, when for introverts, that isn't the case. However, I think that you have to join in with them and their activities at some times. It may be hard but try to push yourself.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It might be possible that they see your introvert behaviour as not wanting to be with them or do things with them
    Well, aren’t people’s egos a little out of control? They’re hurt because OP doesn’t give them the attention they “deserve”
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AzureSure)
    I'm an introvert but my friends don't understand it. Whenever someone was to invite me to a big party and saying everyone will be there, but I don't go and say I didn't want to go in the first place. They think I'm weird. I also read a lot, and when I say that I prefer to go to the library or a bookstore they say that I have the mental age of an old person or that I'm a such a bookworm. They are joking but I really want them to understand that I'm an introvert but It still kinda bugs me that they think I want to be this sad loner.
    Your friends are immature tbh if they don’t accept you for who you are. Also, if they say that about you being studying, they must be a bunch of thickos who are always waiting for the sesh. You should stop caring what they think honestly, they don’t have the mental capacity to understand you. People judge what they don’t understand.

What is an introvert?? Girls are horrible with stuff like that so good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I’ve had this problem too, I can be quite talkative at times but mostly I’m a huge introvert and I prefer being alone sometimes. When you get older you’ll realise that it’s quite normal and it isn’t a bad thing at all, it has so many benefits! Like you enjoy reading and you can probably concentrate longer on things than extroverts. I hate it how extroverts are seen as better characters because I honestly don’t believe this, just because you’re louder doesn’t make you more superior if you get what I mean? Trust me things will get better and you will soon meet people exactly like you.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    UPDATE
    So not much progress. Yesterday my friend asked if I wanted to go to Nandos with some of our friends, it is on a Friday night, do I sound like I'm going out. I texted her saying that my mum said no (even tho i didn't even ask her)
    Now my friends think im mad at them coz i didn't go
    this is getting annoying, they are not mean but just are ugh i don't even have a word its like dumb and clueless at the same time
    thanks for the advice i'm just gonna keep being me and not even try to make them understand and my extroverted friends won't get it anyway.

UPDATE
    So not much progress. Yesterday my friend asked if I wanted to go to Nandos with some of our friends, it is on a Friday night, do I sound like I'm going out. I texted her saying that my mum said no (even tho i didn't even ask her)
    Now my friends think im mad at them coz i didn't go
    this is getting annoying, they are not mean but just are ugh i don't even have a word its like dumb and clueless at the same time
    thanks for the advice i'm just gonna keep being me and not even try to make them understand and my extroverted friends won't get it anyway.
    I'm an introvert as well but I think you need to take a look at yourself. I had a friend like you who kept turning down events or would only come if she could get very drunk so she would be sociable, it put a bit of a strain on our friendship because when someone is turning down your invites all the time you think they're not interested in being friends with you and you end up just thinking 'what's the point in inviting them, they're just going to say no'. Then everyone else in the group forms closer friendships because they're hanging out outside of school.
    You sound like you almost don't want any friends? They seem really nice for continuing to invite you, they could instead just not bother and exclude you. I don't think you're appreciating their efforts tbh. It's your choice if you want to live your life at home on your own all the time, but think about pushing yourself out of your comfort zone. You'll find you feel really good about it and it'll encourage you to do more. Like I said, I'm an introvert as well and sometimes I feel like flaking on invites but I don't because friendships are more important to me than that tv series I wanted to stay in and watch.
    I'm not surprised your friends are thinking your weird and are annoyed at you because your behaviour is a it sh*tty. You can't blame your introversion on everything and use your love for books as an excuse. There are so many introverts in the world but we all have to push ourselves sometimes. How do you expect to ever grow as an individual? How are you going to manage going into work every day?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.