Watch
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

M467 - Male suicide prevention motion, Joecphillips seconded by TCFactor

This house calls upon the government to further expand a the campaign set up by former SoS for health MattElves to focus on the prevention of male suicide.

While the overall suicide numbers for both sexes are currently on a downward path men still make up more than 75% of suicide victims and we have to tackle this problem.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Joe, you've forgotten how it works. All the relevant SoS has to do is say that due to the action mentioned in the motion suicides that have not been sanctioned by the state are almost completely eliminated and the gender gap is gone and thus this motion requires no action.
TheDefiniteArticle
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
IIRC (could be wrong), the reason why male suicide rates are higher is the same as why suicide rates are higher among doctors: a higher success rate on suicide attempts. I don't see why we should be focusing this on men.
TheDefiniteArticle
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Moreover - and I'm writing this in a separate post because TSR's ridiculous rules mean it's somewhat likely that this will be deleted - suicide can be a rational thing. Suicide rates being high is a reflection on a general state of misery which needs to be dealt with by improving people's lives, not by deterring them from suicide where it is in their best interests.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Joe, you've forgotten how it works. All the relevant SoS has to do is say that due to the action mentioned in the motion suicides that have not been sanctioned by the state are almost completely eliminated and the gender gap is gone and thus this motion requires no action.
That would be false as Euthanasia was only sanctioned under specific circumstances. You can't just go and decide to get euthanised.

TDA does raise a good point (in his first comment), but I don't see that as a reason to oppose this motion - I will just be urging the SoS to expand this campaign to include women too
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
That would be false as Euthanasia was only sanctioned under specific circumstances. You can't just go and decide to get euthanised.

TDA does raise a good point (in his first comment), but I don't see that as a reason to oppose this motion - I will just be urging the SoS to expand this campaign to include women too
It is still suicide sanctioned by the state.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Biggest killer of men under 35.:sad:

Something ought to be done, just not sure what.:erm:
Scisaac
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This will probably be my rl MUN exp. kicking in, but how will this actually help prevent male suicide. I fully support the sentiment behind the motion, Im just unclear on the practicalities
JoeL1994
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
IIRC (could be wrong), the reason why male suicide rates are higher is the same as why suicide rates are higher among doctors: a higher success rate on suicide attempts. I don't see why we should be focusing this on men.
This is true. Essentially males are more 'successful' at committing suicide. I believe it is male farmers who are at highest risk due to their lonely occupation and dangerous equipment or tools at their disposal. Females on the other hand tend to use means that allow a period of time in which the method can be reversed, or are less dangerous.
LibertarianMP
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
aye
DayneD89
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Division!

Clear the lobbies!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (147)
14.54%
I'm not sure (43)
4.25%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
29.97%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise