Turn on thread page Beta

Public Speaking Advice watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I’m doing a speech to a group of strangers and I was wondering if there’s any tip once can give, so I can remain calm and not get nervous?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    I heard if you imagine everyone in the room is only wearing underwear it helps. Try it maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Don't look directly into their eyes, look just on their hair.
    If you have learnt the speech by your heart, then there will not be much problem while utterance.However, keep your emotions in check, appear natural instead of sounding like a robot.
    Keep practising in front of any one of your friends or family members without using the chit.
    And also use your hands wisely and maintain a good upward posture while you give your speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    I heard if you imagine everyone in the room is only wearing underwear it helps. Try it maybe.
    Lol before I imagined them to be eggs but that didn’t work.😩🤨

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefadingsoul)
    Don't look directly into their eyes, look just on their hair.
    If you have learnt the speech by your heart, then there will not be much problem while utterance.However, keep your emotions in check, appear natural instead of sounding like a robot.
    Keep practising in front of any one of your friends or family members without using the chit.
    And also use your hands wisely and maintain a good upward posture while you give your speech.
    What’s kind of posture should one do?

ReputationRep:
    Speak relatively slowly and don't be afraid to pause for a couple of seconds between sentences. If you make a mistake, don't apologise or flap, just repeat what you had intended to say and carry on. Maybe don't make eye contact until you are a bit more experienced, but do try to move your gaze around the room - it keeps people feeling engaged

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaista_A)
    You should watch youtube videos for example.

ReputationRep:
    Back straight, head up, shoulders back a little so that you assert some confidence (even if you don't feel confident!).

ReputationRep:
    If you feel that your legs are shaking, rather than wobble, walk around a bit. Just a few paces, make sure to keep your voice clear, and then continue to talk whilst standing still. Also: If the way you are speaking bores you, they are probably 10 times as bored. Make sure to change your tone, and speak as though you are an expert. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the advice , much appreciated.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Be comfortable. It's important to act as though you're at ease, even if you're heart is pounding

ReputationRep:
    Use as much space in the ‘stage’ as by standing still most of the time it’s a defensive posture while moving around openly expressing yourself is what people like to see.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.