The Student Room Group

Story time

What made your relationship last for years?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
What made your relationship last for years?

Let me answer you in a few years time :biggrin:

But, truthfully I think the most important factors to a long lasting relationship is keeping a high level of open communication and being honest witheach other to build a strong bond of trust. :u:

Also earlier on knowing each others goals and wants/needs from the relationship :h:
I agree with Kraggor too! I have been with my partner for nearly 5 years and we hardly ever argue but this is because we talk, if something is bothering us we talk about it. We know each other well and seem to have avoided any areas of conflict thus far (touch wood!)

Communication, affection, honesty and quality time are my personal keys to success.
Being good enough in all areas.

Physically attractive enough.
Nice enough to be with as a person.
Tolerant enough.
Compatible enough over money and quantity of children.
And being (considerably) better in bed than every other person they've ever slept with. More a case of her previous partners being typical men in that they were shockingly bad in this department.
Reply 4
Number 1:

Do NOT get into a relationship for the wrong reasons. If you're: settling for someone until someone better comes along, dating someone with the hopes that he/she will make you a better person, doing it to get back or get over your ex (basically rebound relationships) or any other reason then just don't. you will end up never appreciating and abusing this person and a relationship that starts off wrong rarely turns out well.

This sort of goes into Number 2:

Work on yourself. If you've got problems, a huge chip on your shoulder, massive insecurities, an anger issues/seriously uptight or sexist views and you get into a relationship with the hope that your partner will help you, will be your emotional crutch (or your punchbag) or give you the constant validation that you need or help you prove to the world that you are 'normal' because you managed to get a girlfriend/boyfriend then avoid getting into a relationship until you've worked on yourself. Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with having a partner who helps you or looks out for you, it just should never be an expectation. You just want them to be a caring boyfriend/girlfriend but not a crutch, when they become your crutch thats when they will begin to resent you.

and you can't expect anyone to love you if you don't love yourself.

Number 3:

You need to have the following: trust, mutual respect, selflessness and the ability to compromise. A relationship is about equality, always will be that way so just because you like doing things a certain way doesn't mean he/she HAS to adopt your way of life. and no he/she will not give up their family to favour yours more and he/she shouldn't always have to be the one saying yes to what you want. Learn how to give and take, if you can't do that then you won't be able to survive in a relationship.
Words to live by - treat them how you'd want them to treat you.

don't speak down to me, cheat on me, treat me like crap etc cos remember - I'm not bound to you for life. i can either walk away from you or start treating you the same way. Which is what I did to my nightmare ex girlfriend, the girl used to treat me more like I was her child at times, always saying to me 'no you're NOT going out today, no you're NOT going to do this and that' so I basically started saying it back to her and of course she always hated it. lol what goes around comes around so be careful how you treat others
Reply 6
@goggleyed I actually do live by those words haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending