Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do you study for Maths? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’m really awful at maths and I have a tutor and I do revise. However, my teacher this year isn’t the best. She gave my class a checklist for an assessment, later on we find out that she hadn’t even wrote the checklist and that she took another teachers. So all the things I studied for was wrong. It’s also her teaching that I don’t get. My tutor says I’m good and I grasp things quickly but with my maths teacher I do not understand anything. On the assessment I got 27%, I don’t know what to do about my teacher, perhaps I’m studying wrong? Can some people share their revision techniques?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    the beauty of mathematics is the fact that it is a universal language with a definitive answer. Unlike subjects like English and history, where you need an opinion backed by convincing evidence, there are rules and laws to obey and follow to get to your answer in maths. What I strongly advise is for you is to check what is your preferred learning style. From there you tutor can adapt their teaching style to get the maximum understanding out of you. A resource I highly recommend in the meantime is maths genie- watch the informative videos, take intricate notes and then practice questions. The main way you are gonna get to your desired level in maths is to study concepts and apply your knowledge in past paper questions. This was my revision technique and it works for virtually everyone because this is what maths is about: knowledge, understanding and being able to communicate that on a sheet of paper. Remember: hard work eventually pays off!

ReputationRep:
    A good website to help you understand content is corbette maths. It has a load of videos explaining different topics and it also has sheets that they call '5-a-day'. These are different sheets to do daily with questions on from a variety of topics that you can try and check the answers for.
    Hope this helps
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Studysuma)
    I’m really awful at maths and I have a tutor and I do revise. However, my teacher this year isn’t the best. She gave my class a checklist for an assessment, later on we find out that she hadn’t even wrote the checklist and that she took another teachers. So all the things I studied for was wrong. It’s also her teaching that I don’t get. My tutor says I’m good and I grasp things quickly but with my maths teacher I do not understand anything. On the assessment I got 27%, I don’t know what to do about my teacher, perhaps I’m studying wrong? Can some people share their revision techniques?
    You have to keep on practicing.

(Original post by enda-jane)
    A good website to help you understand content is corbette maths. It has a load of videos explaining different topics and it also has sheets that they call '5-a-day'. These are different sheets to do daily with questions on from a variety of topics that you can try and check the answers for.
    Hope this helps
    As @enda-jane suggested, the Corbett Maths 5-a-day worksheets are a good place to start. That's what I used when I was taking GCSE Maths three years ago.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.