Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priyanboss517)
    Do you really have to have physics in order to get into a course like electronic. Becuase i do like mechanical and automotive engineering however I have not picked physics. I have picked maths,chemistry and electronics as a levels but everything requires physics and I didn’t pick it. Would universities allow you into a engineering course without physics???.

All comments are appreciated
    Engineering is a great discipline but you also need a career plan with it. It's not enough to say 'Engineering has great career opportunities' which it does; but if you're doing it just because of career opportunities, don't expect to get a job in engineering so easily.

Engineering employers do look for degrees but they also look for a natural drive for it! By natural drive I don't mean "I played with Lego when I was a kid" - no. Do you automatically want to understand how something works and go to great depths both practically and academically to quench your never ending curiosity?

If you answer no, don't do engineering unless you really REALLY want to do it - and I'd recommend engineering degree apprenticeships as opposed to a university degree, or at least apply for them and see how far you get.

Back to the topic, maths is essential but some unis replace physics with electronics I believe. Not sure what exact unis and courses but im 90% sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    From my cohort and amongst my close friends on the same course (Electronics), our careers and levels achieved include:

2 x airline pilots
    RAF wing commander
    PWC partner
    3x engineering company directors (ARM holdings, Sony, ABB)
    2 x company owners
    BBC outside broadcasting manager
    2 x IT programme managers
    Principal engineer and design signatory (BAe Systems)
    Product Marketing manager (QINETIC)
    That’s amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Engineering is a great discipline but you also need a career plan with it. It's not enough to say 'Engineering has great career opportunities' which it does; but if you're doing it just because of career opportunities, don't expect to get a job in engineering so easily.

Engineering employers do look for degrees but they also look for a natural drive for it! By natural drive I don't mean "I played with Lego when I was a kid" - no. Do you automatically want to understand how something works and go to great depths both practically and academically to quench your never ending curiosity?

If you answer no, don't do engineering unless you really REALLY want to do it - and I'd recommend engineering degree apprenticeships as opposed to a university degree, or at least apply for them and see how far you get.

Back to the topic, maths is essential but some unis replace physics with electronics I believe. Not sure what exact unis and courses but im 90% sure.
    True. That’s one of the reasons why I want to find the right engineering course which I will really enjoy as there are so many to choose from. I’m not too sure about engineering degree apprenticeship. How does it differ from university? I know it’s more practical based but other than that I’m not too sure.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.