Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Knee injury 2 weeks into my second year :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi just after a bit of advice.

I completed my first year of the Midwifery degree 2016/2017 and then went into my second year. 3 weeks in I fell down the stairs and damaged the ligaments in my knee. I had to ask for an interruption of studies as I was unable to return to university (I was on crutches, in a lot of pain and on strong pain killers) and there was no way I was fit enough for placement blocks. Fast forward 3 months and I've have several consultant appointments, MRI scan, physio and a diagnosis of damage to my knee cap and several muscles. I have been told that this may be a life long issue with possible surgery needed in the future.

So I made the decision that I am not able to complete the rest of the degree and have been offered a place on a different course (same university) which is all academic and no practical elements.

However, as I fell down the stairs several weeks into my second year I have been told that I will only be funded another 2 years and will have to self fund the first year of the new degree. My only option is to apply for mitigating circumstances through student finance and hope they accept.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can offer any advice? What sort of evidence should I provide? I have a doctors appointment next week and I will ask them how I get letters for the clinic appointments and physio that I have had but is there anything else that I could send to enhance my chances?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks xxx
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Gbarnes86)
    Hi just after a bit of advice.

I completed my first year of the Midwifery degree 2016/2017 and then went into my second year. 3 weeks in I fell down the stairs and damaged the ligaments in my knee. I had to ask for an interruption of studies as I was unable to return to university (I was on crutches, in a lot of pain and on strong pain killers) and there was no way I was fit enough for placement blocks. Fast forward 3 months and I've have several consultant appointments, MRI scan, physio and a diagnosis of damage to my knee cap and several muscles. I have been told that this may be a life long issue with possible surgery needed in the future.

So I made the decision that I am not able to complete the rest of the degree and have been offered a place on a different course (same university) which is all academic and no practical elements.

However, as I fell down the stairs several weeks into my second year I have been told that I will only be funded another 2 years and will have to self fund the first year of the new degree. My only option is to apply for mitigating circumstances through student finance and hope they accept.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and can offer any advice? What sort of evidence should I provide? I have a doctors appointment next week and I will ask them how I get letters for the clinic appointments and physio that I have had but is there anything else that I could send to enhance my chances?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks xxx
    Hi Gbarnes86,

I'm sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it's healing up!

In this situation, you'd be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for an additional year of funding. With regards to evidence, there is not definitive list, however, a general outline is that the evidence must confirm what the situation was, when it happened and how it affected your studies. This could be through 1 piece of evidence or several. In the circumstances where a physical injury affected your studies, you could speak to your doctor about writing a letter explaining what happened or you could get a copy of clinical reports. However, just to reiterate, the list is not exhaustive, 1 piece of evidence may detail enough of the situation to be accepted.

I hope this information helps.

Warm regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Gbarnes86,

I'm sorry to hear about your knee, I hope it's healing up!

In this situation, you'd be able to apply for Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) for an additional year of funding. With regards to evidence, there is not definitive list, however, a general outline is that the evidence must confirm what the situation was, when it happened and how it affected your studies. This could be through 1 piece of evidence or several. In the circumstances where a physical injury affected your studies, you could speak to your doctor about writing a letter explaining what happened or you could get a copy of clinical reports. However, just to reiterate, the list is not exhaustive, 1 piece of evidence may detail enough of the situation to be accepted.

I hope this information helps.

Warm regards,

John.
    Hi John.

Thank you for your reply.

I have a doctors appointment next week so Im hoping they can provide me with adequate evidence. Im aiming to get clinic appointment letters, a consultant over view of my care, scan appointment confirmation and a statement from one of my current university tutors detailing the physical demands of the midwifery degree. Hopefully this will be enough.

Thank you again

Gemma
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Gbarnes86)
    Hi John.

Thank you for your reply.

I have a doctors appointment next week so Im hoping they can provide me with adequate evidence. Im aiming to get clinic appointment letters, a consultant over view of my care, scan appointment confirmation and a statement from one of my current university tutors detailing the physical demands of the midwifery degree. Hopefully this will be enough.

Thank you again

Gemma
    You're very welcome.

That is exactly the type of evidence SFE would look for to apply for CPR so you've got the right idea.

Best of luck Gemma.

Kind regards,

John.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.