The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Not getting my chosen college

What can I do. Is there anyway I can change.
Reply 1
No way to change unless you have a very real medical issue, or are doing the Foundation programme.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Everyone I know who went to Durham tells me the College they went to is the best, whether it be Castle, Hatfield, Johns, Cuths, Chads, Marys, Grey, Aidans, Trevs, Hild-Bede, Collingwood, Van Mildert, etc. etc.

Which College have you been allocated to, and which did you want?

T3
Similar issue here - applied for Van Mildert and have been offered St Aidan's.
St. Aidan's has 40% of first year sharing rooms. I absolutely do NOT want to share a room. I like working late into the night, sometimes ALL night! I just can't imagine a room share working.

Do you know in advance if you're going to be sharing a room?
Original post by AlexSilver
Similar issue here - applied for Van Mildert and have been offered St Aidan's.
St. Aidan's has 40% of first year sharing rooms. I absolutely do NOT want to share a room. I like working late into the night, sometimes ALL night! I just can't imagine a room share working.

Do you know in advance if you're going to be sharing a room?

you know, even though i couldnt cope with sharing, i lived in a hall that was 95% sharing. i once said to someone that halls is never as fun as you think it's going to be, but halls where people share are the only ones with good vibes. there's something about having room mates which brings non-roomates together. whereas when you're all single-rooms, it's a bit more like a hotel.
I just don't want to risk it though, so this probably means I'm now going to have to reject Durham in favour of somewhere which will guarantee a single room - that's mad! Originally Durham was my favourite uni, but the whole crappy Durham experience has spolit that - making everyone wait so long for offers, then re-allocating you to a different college. I chose Van Mildert precisely because it was 100% single rooms.

Will they EVER change your allocation (without a medical reason)?
I just don't want to risk it though, so this probably means I'm now going to have to reject Durham in favour of somewhere which will guarantee a single room - that's mad! Originally Durham was my favourite uni, but the whole crappy Durham experience has spolit that - making everyone wait so long for offers, then re-allocating you to a different college. I chose Van Mildert precisely because it was 100% single rooms.

Will they EVER change your allocation (without a medical reason)?

funny, over 4 years ago i chose van mildert precisely for the same reason, but ended up firming st andrews instead and ending up in a sharing hall (but coming up with a medical excuse to get out of it).

i think you are failing to take into account the fact that each college will have its own study area and library where you can sit up all night studying, probably with less distractions than in your room, but maybe with company too. so the only issue being you might wake up your roommate by sneaking back into your room late
Original post by CollectiveSoul
funny, over 4 years ago i chose van mildert precisely for the same reason, but ended up firming st andrews instead and ending up in a sharing hall (but coming up with a medical excuse to get out of it).

i think you are failing to take into account the fact that each college will have its own study area and library where you can sit up all night studying, probably with less distractions than in your room, but maybe with company too. so the only issue being you might wake up your roommate by sneaking back into your room late

Thanks for trying to talk me into it, but I just KNOW it won't work, so I can't risk firming Durham if they can't guarantee I won't be sharing.
I'll be doing Computer Science and I'll need my own desktop for some of the stuff I do. I also have a gaming business on the side with a friend in California and sometimes I need to talk with him at like 3 am!
Reply 8
Thanks for trying to talk me into it, but I just KNOW it won't work, so I can't risk firming Durham if they can't guarantee I won't be sharing.
I'll be doing Computer Science and I'll need my own desktop for some of the stuff I do. I also have a gaming business on the side with a friend in California and sometimes I need to talk with him at like 3 am!

I have an unconditional for Durham which I have firmed as it is the university I wanted to go. I have been allocated John Snow college which wasn't my preference choice. I can't change it so it is either this college or nothing!

When I was confirming that I needed accommodation it gave me options, the first was about shared toilets or ensuite. The second option was multisex or single sex flats. Then it asked about hobbies/interests.

Since you say it is 40% shared rooms, that means there are 60% which aren't, therefore I feel like when confirming you need accommodation they will give you an option for this.

I'm doing computer science by the way.

Hope this helps.
Original post by Kharon1
No way to change unless you have a very real medical issue, or are doing the Foundation programme.

Hi, sorry this is a really late reply but what is the policy difference between foundation entry and year one entry regarding changing colleges? I was under the impression that it was the same policy
Reply 10
Original post by NoTimeForCaution
Hi, sorry this is a really late reply but what is the policy difference between foundation entry and year one entry regarding changing colleges? I was under the impression that it was the same policy

Can confirm it is the same policy, don't know where they're getting that idea from
Original post by Callum T
I have an unconditional for Durham which I have firmed as it is the university I wanted to go. I have been allocated John Snow college which wasn't my preference choice. I can't change it so it is either this college or nothing!

When I was confirming that I needed accommodation it gave me options, the first was about shared toilets or ensuite. The second option was multisex or single sex flats. Then it asked about hobbies/interests.

Since you say it is 40% shared rooms, that means there are 60% which aren't, therefore I feel like when confirming you need accommodation they will give you an option for this.

I'm doing computer science by the way.

Hope this helps.

I'm in Jon Snow. Jon Snow is going to be a really good choice this year as it has solely been based at the Stockton campus until next year when its moving up to Durham with Stephenson college.

Being the new boys in Durham, Snow and Stevo are going to want to leave their mark pretty quickly.

Hope your Ready.
Reply 12
Original post by jct1993
Can confirm it is the same policy, don't know where they're getting that idea from

Foundation students can according to the handbook switch colleges for their year 1 if desired, at least that's what my college told me, but it wasn't something I was pursuing either way since I'm happy on the bailey.

Quick Reply

Latest