Turn on thread page Beta

Can I moving from foundation to higher tier in Maths at this point? watch

I'm in year 10. I'm set 1 for everything apart from Maths. Today I sat a foundation tier, I found it a tiny bit difficult. My dad asked me whether the top set sat the same paper, and I told him no. I told him they sat the higher tier because they did!

My dad then flipped at me:
    "If they're good enough to sit the higher tier why aren't you?"
    "All you're gonna come out with is a C"
    "You're slack"
    "You should've told them to move you to higher tier in September!"
    "I don't care if you had no head of Maths, you should've gone to your teacher!"
    "You could've gone to anyone!"
    "You're thick."

And that's just some of the things he said to me. I couldn't have gone to the head of Maths back in September because she just disappeared, nobody knows where she went or why she went so we just got a new head of Maths recently. And my teacher was away for ages so I couldn't talk to her either.

I really want to do A-Level Maths to get onto the course I want for uni, and you need at least a grade 8. I can't do this with the foundation paper because the highest grade you can get is a 5.

Can I get onto higher tier or is it too late?
    If I can what should I do to try and get there?

You only need a grade 6 for alevel maths

ReputationRep:
    Ask to get put into the higher tier and catch up the work you’ve missed.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by hannahh.08)
    Ask to get put into the higher tier and catch up the work you’ve missed.
    What my teacher told me was, there's about 4 or 5 us in the class who are good enough for higher tier but we have to do the higher work at home ourselves because there is "no room" in the higher tier class. That's not fair is it?

ReputationRep:
    No, that really isn’t fair. I am also in year 10 doing higher tier maths. Could you not just get work sheets that the higher group are using and do those in class? The four or five of you could also start a study group
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by hannahh.08)
    No, that really isn’t fair. I am also in year 10 doing higher tier maths. Could you not just get work sheets that the higher group are using and do those in class? The four or five of you could also start a study group
    Exactly!

ReputationRep:
    You're honestly best off talking to your teacher about this, she'll have the best idea of your current grades and potential to do better rather than any of us. Explain to her that you'd like to carry on Maths to A Level - I'm not sure why you need an 8 to be accepted onto A Level Maths when most schools only ask for a C/B?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2018
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.