Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have just got my results back for my SQA National 5 prelim and I got an F in modern studies☹️ I done terrible & I am determined to do well in this subject for exams in May but I don’t know what I am doing wrong and most are sometimes silly mistakes however in class tests I write answers close to what my peers have and loose many more marks than they do, I do have an issue with timing & remembering the answers for the Point Explain Example type questions, if anyone has any advice on passing modern please let me know. It would help a lot!

The topics I am doing are:
    USA as a global influence
    Democracy in the UK
    Crime and Law

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've moved this to the Scottish Qualifications forum for you - hopefully someone will be able to help you out here

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! 😁
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hi Kaitlyn5!

I am also sitting the National 5 course and I am studying the same topics as you are. I recently received my grade - Upper A. But this is because I want to study politics at uni and teach Modern Studies!

Honestly, you didn't do terrible. A lot of people in my class didn't get the grades they were expecting. The way I think of it is that your final grade has just been pushed up because you are now aware of where you went wrong and what you have to improve on.

I personally find source questions most difficult along with timing (if anyone has advice on this - I would truly appreciate it!). You specifically mentioned KU questions - here's what I recommend:
    - Take notes during class ( https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/69465.html ) because the BBC Bitesize website is, in my opinion, not great for this subject
    - Make a database of all past paper questions ( https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/fi...udies&level=N5 ) and questions you have attempted in class - this will be useful in the long-term
    - Create flashcards using bullet points to list points, explanations and examples - each using only 2 words - this will help you to remember the content
    - Attend supported study if it is available in your school
    - Watch the news and read news articles (this helped me answer a question that's content was not described in the course specification - unfair, I know!)

And finally... don't worry! You have months to work on the subject. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it's not too hard to turn your grade around in Nat 5 Modies, especially if its only the KU questions you're struggling with.

What i'd do is:
    - make up a list of all the possible questions that the SQA could ask you (bearing in mind they've changed the course specification this year, you'd want to check that out), there's hundreds of stuff on line!
    - create an 8 mark worth response (so 3 PEE etc) for each type of question
    - Regularly look over these, (flashcards?) - don't get too caught up on learning your 'explain' part as most times you can sort of make this up on the day or you will know it.
    - Do timed practice! (can't stress this enough)- you should be aiming to write 8 marks/3 paragraphs in about 15 minutes. Even just take a question and don't use your notes and see what you can do and what you're
    - Don't undermine the source questions, they will make or break your grade! In exams/tests, get the KU questions out the way before you do skills questions, but remember and leave enough time for them: they take longer than you think!
    - If you can't think of an example, make one up! Make sure it's realistic and believable because lots of people got done for this last year!

Good luck, are you thinking about Higher? Doing it right now & t's a HUGE jump from N5 (saying from someone who got an A1) and it's set to get worse for the new spec, but if you like the subject you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavemeblank)
    Hey, it's not too hard to turn your grade around in Nat 5 Modies, especially if its only the KU questions you're struggling with.

What i'd do is:
    - make up a list of all the possible questions that the SQA could ask you (bearing in mind they've changed the course specification this year, you'd want to check that out), there's hundreds of stuff on line!
    - create an 8 mark worth response (so 3 PEE etc) for each type of question
    - Regularly look over these, (flashcards?) - don't get too caught up on learning your 'explain' part as most times you can sort of make this up on the day or you will know it.
    - Do timed practice! (can't stress this enough)- you should be aiming to write 8 marks/3 paragraphs in about 15 minutes. Even just take a question and don't use your notes and see what you can do and what you're
    - Don't undermine the source questions, they will make or break your grade! In exams/tests, get the KU questions out the way before you do skills questions, but remember and leave enough time for them: they take longer than you think!
    - If you can't think of an example, make one up! Make sure it's realistic and believable because lots of people got done for this last year!

Good luck, are you thinking about Higher? Doing it right now & t's a HUGE jump from N5 (saying from someone who got an A1) and it's set to get worse for the new spec, but if you like the subject you'll be fine!
    Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it😁 and no I don’t think I am going to do higher well at least this year anyway, i am just doing higher English maths admin & IT and Spanish for 5th year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s4student)
    Hi Kaitlyn5!

I am also sitting the National 5 course and I am studying the same topics as you are. I recently received my grade - Upper A. But this is because I want to study politics at uni and teach Modern Studies!

Honestly, you didn't do terrible. A lot of people in my class didn't get the grades they were expecting. The way I think of it is that your final grade has just been pushed up because you are now aware of where you went wrong and what you have to improve on.

I personally find source questions most difficult along with timing (if anyone has advice on this - I would truly appreciate it!). You specifically mentioned KU questions - here's what I recommend:
    - Take notes during class ( https://www.sqa.org.uk/sqa/69465.html ) because the BBC Bitesize website is, in my opinion, not great for this subject
    - Make a database of all past paper questions ( https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/fi...udies&level=N5 ) and questions you have attempted in class - this will be useful in the long-term
    - Create flashcards using bullet points to list points, explanations and examples - each using only 2 words - this will help you to remember the content
    - Attend supported study if it is available in your school
    - Watch the news and read news articles (this helped me answer a question that's content was not described in the course specification - unfair, I know!)

And finally... don't worry! You have months to work on the subject. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
    Thank you so much!😁

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm also doing Nat 5 mod, and got a low A (2% off a high A) in my prelim.
    I think the main thing that helped me was doing answers to all the passed paper questions and questions in my revision notes... for me it's no use just reading notes I actually need to do something with the information in the notes.
    As for the skills questions... take the time to read over and highlight the sources... you should be allowed a highlighter in the exam.
    Timed practice!! Do lots of that!
    And do ask your teacher for help if you need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by independentx)
    Hi,

I'm also doing Nat 5 mod, and got a low A (2% off a high A) in my prelim.
    I think the main thing that helped me was doing answers to all the passed paper questions and questions in my revision notes... for me it's no use just reading notes I actually need to do something with the information in the notes.
    As for the skills questions... take the time to read over and highlight the sources... you should be allowed a highlighter in the exam.
    Timed practice!! Do lots of that!
    And do ask your teacher for help if you need it.
    Thank u so much!😁

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.