Is law a good career choice? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Hi

I'm studying A Levels in Biology, History and Spanish with a view to becoming a lawyer after getting a law degree from a good uni.
To those of you who are currently studying law or working as lawyers (of whatever type - I don't know what to do yet):
How are you finding it?
Are my A Levels advantageous for a Law degree?
Is it a well paid and respected profession, that gives a sense of satisfaction and pride?

Thank you!!
999tigger
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 19
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi

I'm studying A Levels in Biology, History and Spanish with a view to becoming a lawyer after getting a law degree from a good uni.
To those of you who are currently studying law or working as lawyers (of whatever type - I don't know what to do yet):
How are you finding it?
Are my A Levels advantageous for a Law degree?
Is it a well paid and respected profession, that gives a sense of satisfaction and pride?

Thank you!!
Good career for some and a poor choice for others. Get into the best uni you can.

No specific A levels for Law although if you get good grades, then all yours are well respected subjects, so wont cause any difficulties.

Well paid? Depends what area and location? It can be and other areas it can be average. Look at the jobs section or for salary surveys.
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Just out of curiosity, how come you didn't take Law for A level?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Just out of curiosity, how come you didn't take Law for A level?
I heard it's not as well respected by unis as you basically learn the same stuff but in more detail in the first year of a degree.
mundosinfin
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I would recommend that you don't study law as an undergrad. By all means if you want to continue and become a lawyer then take a postgrad, as you will have to anyway if you want to study law. From past experience (not mine but several people have strongly advised me of this due to their experiences) it's better to do a degree in something you love - it doesn't matter what degree you do unless you want to be an engineer, doctor or vet (I think there are more but lawyer isn't on that list) - law undergrad degrees are said to be very boring, and why be bored for 4 more years than you have to? My mum, who is a lawyer, says that she loves her job in law but she hated her law degree (she went to Oxford for law so that's saying something - many people would die to go there)
I don't work in law but my mother does and I believe it is relatively well paid, of course this depends on your position; however, it's not excessively well paid... many people who she works with seem to be very rich and honestly I have no idea where the money comes from haha
Your A-Levels look great for law - history is one that many unis would want.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (702)
90.93%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (70)
9.07%

Watched Threads