Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There's this girl at work and I can't work out whether she's generally interested, or whether she's just playing a game/ likes the attention.

- We flirt a lot through work email and social media (direct messages etc), and make occasional sexual innuendos.

- We occasionally compliment each other, for instance, she compliments my outfit choices and aftershave.

- We occasionally hold eye contact for a longer than sociably normal period of time (at least in my opinion).

- We are really sarcastic towards each other (in a way that would probably offend most people).

Here's the catch...

She won't commit to anything or let me know what she's feeling.

I've asked her out for a drink, and she neither denies or accepts, she just finds a way to change the subject.

I've asked her whether she should interested or not a couple of times (although not that direct) and she either completely ignores it, or again changes subject.

Yet, she continues to act and do all of the above.

I'd be fine if she said no, and that she wasn't interested, but instead she's keeping me in this state of limbo and I have no idea where I stand.

I don't know what to do?

She only works part time and her contract finishes in May.

Any ideas?
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by adollop)
    There's this girl at work and I can't work out whether she's generally interested, or whether she's just playing a game/ likes the attention.

- We flirt a lot through work email and social media (direct messages etc), and make occasional sexual innuendos.

- We occasionally compliment each other, for instance, she compliments my outfit choices and aftershave.

- We occasionally hold eye contact for a longer than sociably normal period of time (at least in my opinion).

- We are really sarcastic towards each other (in a way that would probably offend most people).

Here's the catch...

I've asked her out for a drink, and she neither denies or accepts, she just finds a way to change the subject.

I've asked her whether she should interested or not a couple of times (although not that direct) and she either completely ignores it, or again changes subject.

I'd be fine if she said no, and that she wasn't interested, but instead she's keeping me in this state of limbo and I have no idea where I stand.

I don't know what to do?

Any ideas?
    It could be that she's avoiding a 'workplace romance'...

I don't know how it would play out but I guess in other situations I think I would distance myself and cut down the interactions, otherwise it screws you up.

ReputationRep:
    Either just time passing or she has no time for a relationship atm or sumthin.

ReputationRep:

Here's the catch...

I don't know what to do?

Any ideas?
    She wants you to win her over. Continue the hard work. The prize may be worth the effort.

ReputationRep:

Here's the catch...

I don't know what to do?

Any ideas?
    Honestly, I did not expect men or boys to think about this so deeply, or that you over-analysed situations like this one.

Here's what I think, she likes your attention, your presence. But I don't think she wants to ruin what you have and turn it into something more. She likes what you have and wouldn't want anything more or less. The fact that she's ignoring your requests could suggest 1 of 2 things:

1. She really isn't interested in you and doesn't want to hurt your feelings or;
    2. She doesn't want to come across as easy so she keeps you on your toes which you clearly seem to be.

My advice - distance yourself and don't shift or make a move unless she does. Reflect her behaviour and treat her the same way she does to you, act interested but not too interested and confuse her.

ReputationRep:
    If u want her then she needs 2 want u 2!!!!!!!!!Don't dillydaddleAsk her directIf no then move on!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Some people enjoy flirting but not the idea of anything serious, she might be avoiding a workplace relationship, she may think it's pointless starting anything if she's leaving in May. I'd stop the flirting over work email as well tbh, it's not very professional.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.