Turn on thread page Beta

How do I get 5 A’s in my national 5 exams in 3 months? watch

ReputationRep:
    I need advice and study tips to help me achieve 5 A’s in all my subjects this year in May when I do my exams.

My subjects are:
    Maths
    English
    Spanish
    Biology
    Modern studies
    Administration & IT

This is what I struggle with in each subject :
    - Maths- problem solving and when to apply/combine topics to a question & I know this might sound stupid to some people but I don’t understand how to round to significant figures I get it wrong all the time.
    - English- timing is a real struggle for me & REMEMBERING 3 essays and all the annotations to the 6 poems & when a close reading question says explain and nothing else like not explain why the writer used word choice or something because that’s obviously a word choice question but like when a question just says explain......
    - Spanish - is timing for doing reading and writing in just 1 hour & 30 mins & then because you don’t know what topics are coming up I don’t know what vocabulary to study and stuff.
    - Biology- Calculations & problem solving.
    - Modern Studies- I am terrible at modern I find timing difficult and remembering a lot of information & examples for PEE questions & linking stuff together in the skills questions.
    - Admin & IT - I find calculations difficult like I don’t know when to use what like how to identity what formula to do so like databases and stuff. If anyone has a list of the calculations you use in admin & when to use them it would help soooo much (don’t worry if you don’t)

Sorry this is long I just tried to give as much information as I can because I need as much help as I can get. If you reply thank you so much I really really appreciate it!!! Good luck to anyone doing exams this year and let’s all hope we do well and get the marks we hoped.
    P.S even if anyone doesn’t have advice but has any books or YouTube videos or anything at all would really help, thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Maths: Practice as many of that type of question because they usually repeat similar things each year. Significant figures aren’t too bad when you grasp them. Basically you’re counting from the first number that isn’t a zero and rounding as usual.
    For example: 14587 to 3 sig figs would be 14600.
    0.007843 to 3 sigfigs would be 0.00784. Ask a teacher for more advice on them

The How To Pass book for maths has loads of practice questions and the English one is useful if it uses the poems you study as examples. I’ve heard the biology one is really good too.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldilocks12)
    Maths: Practice as many of that type of question because they usually repeat similar things each year. Significant figures aren’t too bad when you grasp them. Basically you’re counting from the first number that isn’t a zero and rounding as usual.
    For example: 14587 to 3 sig figs would be 14600.
    0.007843 to 3 sigfigs would be 0.00784. Ask a teacher for more advice on them

The How To Pass book for maths has loads of practice questions and the English one is useful if it uses the poems you study as examples. I’ve heard the biology one is really good too.
    Thank u so much!😁
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kaitlyn5)
    I need advice and study tips to help me achieve 5 A’s in all my subjects this year in May when I do my exams.

My subjects are:
    Maths
    English
    Spanish
    Biology
    Modern studies
    Administration & IT

This is what I struggle with in each subject :
    - Maths- problem solving and when to apply/combine topics to a question & I know this might sound stupid to some people but I don’t understand how to round to significant figures I get it wrong all the time.
    - English- timing is a real struggle for me & REMEMBERING 3 essays and all the annotations to the 6 poems & when a close reading question says explain and nothing else like not explain why the writer used word choice or something because that’s obviously a word choice question but like when a question just says explain......
    - Spanish - is timing for doing reading and writing in just 1 hour & 30 mins & then because you don’t know what topics are coming up I don’t know what vocabulary to study and stuff.
    - Biology- Calculations & problem solving.
    - Modern Studies- I am terrible at modern I find timing difficult and remembering a lot of information & examples for PEE questions & linking stuff together in the skills questions.
    - Admin & IT - I find calculations difficult like I don’t know when to use what like how to identity what formula to do so like databases and stuff. If anyone has a list of the calculations you use in admin & when to use them it would help soooo much (don’t worry if you don’t)

Sorry this is long I just tried to give as much information as I can because I need as much help as I can get. If you reply thank you so much I really really appreciate it!!! Good luck to anyone doing exams this year and let’s all hope we do well and get the marks we hoped.
    P.S even if anyone doesn’t have advice but has any books or YouTube videos or anything at all would really help, thank you x
    Hello :wavey:

I have moved your thread over into the Scottish qualifications section, so it will hopefully help you get some more advice

Of your subjects, I have done maths, English and biology (passed with As), so I can try and give you some advice with those...

Firstly, it's really good that you have been able to identify the areas where you need to improve- that is really such a positive thing

For maths, my biggest advice would be to do a lot of questions! Start by making sure you understand the content, then move onto topic specific questions from perhaps a textbook, and then do past paper questions- a LOT of them! Where there are specific topics/questions you don't understand, definitely ask your teacher for some help. If you're not comfortable with that, you could try sending them an email to ask, or approach another teacher for help. Other students can be good at explaining things too!

In terms of English, I agree, it is a lot to remember! For close reading and Scottish text, the biggest rule is to quote and comment. A quote (or reference to a specific part of the text) followed by an appropriate and insightful comment will gain you 2 marks at Nat 5! When I was struggling with close reading, I basically wrote down and learnt approaches to each type of question, based on what we'd been taught and the mark scheme.
    For your critical essay, make sure you know your text really well- you don't need hundreds of quotes, but practising a 'template' essay which you can adapt to fit the question (this is really important!) is something i found really helpful. Making essay plans for every past paper question in existence save time, rather than writing the entire thing.
    I would suggest asking your teacher to mark some of your work as you go, as it is quite difficult to mark it yourself!
    Also, make sure your folio pieces are of a good standard, as that's 30% of the mark!

Biology is largely about content, though from what you say, that's not your main issue. Make sure you know things like %increase/decrease (almost guaranteed to appear in the paper), reading (and drawing) graphs and explaining trends. This is another area where practice is really the key. Use the marking scheme to your advantage, by teaching yourself from it how to answer each question type.

Hope this helps and best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Omg! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!😁
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Kaitlyn5)
    Omg! Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!😁
    No problem Happy to help

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in S5 sitting my Highers this years. I made the mistake of not studying enough for my Nat 5's - do not make this mistake! But this year (as I am planning to go to uni next year) I am working my butt off and I'm doing pretty well so far. Here are a few things I do that might help:

[this is the more general things you should do - not just for one subject specifically]

- I watch study youtubers like unjadedjade and revision with eve, they're the best!!!! watch their study with me's to get really motivated (I always watch one before I start my study session). They also have videos on how to study for specific subjects - check them out! For maths - DLB maths and Mr Hamilton are two really good youtube channels - they go though maths (and physics ...i think??) past papers and explain them

- look over notes regularly

- simplify your class/ textbook notes and make new ones

- make a study timetable, and remember organisation is key!

- do past papers, be familiar with the exam structure

-Your exams are in May, personally I suggest you start studying now - don't leave anything last min!!

BEST TIP: Go onto SQA's website and look at 'course reports' for the subjects you are studying - those tell you the mistakes people made/ where they did well etc. in the previous years. Which means you can work on the things majority of people struggled with because chances are they'll come up in the exam again

Hope this helped! Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzalover101)
    Hi, I'm in S5 sitting my Highers this years. I made the mistake of not studying enough for my Nat 5's - do not make this mistake! But this year (as I am planning to go to uni next year) I am working my butt off and I'm doing pretty well so far. Here are a few things I do that might help:

[this is the more general things you should do - not just for one subject specifically]

- I watch study youtubers like unjadedjade and revision with eve, they're the best!!!! watch their study with me's to get really motivated (I always watch one before I start my study session). They also have videos on how to study for specific subjects - check them out! For maths - DLB maths and Mr Hamilton are two really good youtube channels - they go though maths (and physics ...i think??) past papers and explain them

- look over notes regularly

- simplify your class/ textbook notes and make new ones

- make a study timetable, and remember organisation is key!

- do past papers, be familiar with the exam structure

-Your exams are in May, personally I suggest you start studying now - don't leave anything last min!!

BEST TIP: Go onto SQA's website and look at 'course reports' for the subjects you are studying - those tell you the mistakes people made/ where they did well etc. in the previous years. Which means you can work on the things majority of people struggled with because chances are they'll come up in the exam again

Hope this helped! Good luck!!!
    Thank you so much! This will definitely help!😁

ReputationRep:
    I got 83% in my maths prelim. I would highly recommend doing as many past papers as you can and then after you've done them you can watch DLBmaths on youtube, he gives the solutions to all the problems you get in past papers and it really helped me. I also sit 8 national 5s and not 6 so it's more stressful for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well done! Thank u so much, good luck😁

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

(little late reply to this :P)

I'm also currently taking my N5's, so I have a few suggestions that have allowed me to climb up in regards of grades and bands.

Maths:
    As many people have suggested, do as many past paper questions as you can, the questions that appear there seem to appear in similar forms in all the papers I have tried, so familiarising yourself with the common sorts of questions that appear. Also, I persuaded my parents to spend £10 on a subscription to national5maths.co.uk I would certainly suggest this as it has lots of useful questions, solutions with working, along with some study guides for virtually all areas of the course.

English:
    For English, I'm in a similar boat. For the critical essay, I have quotes for a range of areas - theme, characterisation and so on - so no matter the question I can tweak my answers to fit it. Of course, practising answering a range of essay questions should give you plenty of practise of the essay. For the poems, our teacher's selected Edwin Morgan's 6 poems, my strategy is to remember two quotes from each poem, which should allow me to cope with variations of the 8-mark-question. As it appears, you should be able to cope with the poem in the text, as it is given in the exam, which should allow you to relax a bit more as you don't need to remember countless quotes, just analyse the poem. Keep reading over your notes and so on - again lots of practise papers. Close reading is a matter of familiarising yourself with the types of questions that can appear, I'd recommend learning these then practising on a variety of texts. I've got a little document of words that I am aiming to learn, which should expand my vocabulary and prepare for the contents of the close reading exercise - should also help with "in your own words" questions.

As for the other subjects, I haven't personally taken them - so cannot give any specific advice, however:

For science subjects, I find that writing out notes based on the course specification (found on the sqa website) are remarkably helpful, and after writing them you can work on revising them etc.

Again, doing lots and lots of questions helps to prepare you for your exams.

Finally, as many others have suggested, make sure that you have a study schedule of sorts, take a day off a week or something. We've got a few months and as long as you start now, you'll be well prepared for May

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WestDragon)
    Hey!

(little late reply to this :P)

I'm also currently taking my N5's, so I have a few suggestions that have allowed me to climb up in regards of grades and bands.

Maths:
    As many people have suggested, do as many past paper questions as you can, the questions that appear there seem to appear in similar forms in all the papers I have tried, so familiarising yourself with the common sorts of questions that appear. Also, I persuaded my parents to spend £10 on a subscription to national5maths.co.uk I would certainly suggest this as it has lots of useful questions, solutions with working, along with some study guides for virtually all areas of the course.

English:
    For English, I'm in a similar boat. For the critical essay, I have quotes for a range of areas - theme, characterisation and so on - so no matter the question I can tweak my answers to fit it. Of course, practising answering a range of essay questions should give you plenty of practise of the essay. For the poems, our teacher's selected Edwin Morgan's 6 poems, my strategy is to remember two quotes from each poem, which should allow me to cope with variations of the 8-mark-question. As it appears, you should be able to cope with the poem in the text, as it is given in the exam, which should allow you to relax a bit more as you don't need to remember countless quotes, just analyse the poem. Keep reading over your notes and so on - again lots of practise papers. Close reading is a matter of familiarising yourself with the types of questions that can appear, I'd recommend learning these then practising on a variety of texts. I've got a little document of words that I am aiming to learn, which should expand my vocabulary and prepare for the contents of the close reading exercise - should also help with "in your own words" questions.

As for the other subjects, I haven't personally taken them - so cannot give any specific advice, however:

For science subjects, I find that writing out notes based on the course specification (found on the sqa website) are remarkably helpful, and after writing them you can work on revising them etc.

Again, doing lots and lots of questions helps to prepare you for your exams.

Finally, as many others have suggested, make sure that you have a study schedule of sorts, take a day off a week or something. We've got a few months and as long as you start now, you'll be well prepared for May
    Thank you so much! Good luck!😁

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.