The Student Room Group

Trouble taking pills... advice?

I've got a knee problem, and I've been prescribed Naproxen tablets. However, I also have a swollen throat (and hyperactive gag reflex) and I've drunk about 2 litres of water (no exaggeration) in my attempt to wash it down, but it's just not working. Can I crush it or something to help? I need to take this thing but I can't seem to do so!
Reply 1
Breaking them up is fine.
Reply 2
I hate swallowing those ones.

Break them, honestly. It's the only way. Crushing them means you will be left with a horrible aftertaste, and they won't work much.
Reply 3
Try eating something beforehand, I've found I have trouble taking pills, but eating food seems to sooth/stretch my throat a bit. Also orange juice instead of water seems to mask the taste/texture making it easier too.
I used to have the same problem. Try swallowing smaller tablets every day (e.g. vitamin B supplements), and you will get used to the feeling. Then you can move on to bigger pills and you won't have trouble.
Check with your pharmacy/doctor that you can break them up as some tablets need to be taken whole. But if you can then definitely break it up and try taking it with something like yoghurt :smile:

You can get some medication in liquid/syrup form too so ask about that.
(edited 6 years ago)
If you ask your doc or chemist you can get something called a pill cutter, never used it myself but before i switched to something else from naproxin i was recoomended that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending