Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

School attendance watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So basically I have a school attendance of 90% as 2 weeks ago I was off for nearly a week with the flu and now I’ve got a really bad cold ( with a headache,blocked nose,sore throat and ear ache.) not to mention that I keep waking up at 1 in the morning feeling like I can’t breathe because of a stuffy nose !! I’m really worried if I take any more time off my parents will get in trouble please give advice x

what year are you in? Unis require an attendance of at least 95%.
    Do you have a note explaining why you were off? If not then you will have to talk to the attendance officer at your school to outline why you have such a low attendance and the circumstances surrounding your absence (that is, if you have any circumstances)
    Try to come into school regularly, this way, if you are ever ill you can afford to take the day off and not sacrifice your attendance.
    Surely your parents must know why you have an attendance of 90%?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Surely your parents know why you have an attendance of 90%? So it shouldn’t be a complete shock?
    Do you have a note which allowed you to take time off? If not then I strongly suggest speaking to your attendance officer to explain your low attendance (I say low because unis require at least 95%) If you have any circumstances which made you unable to attend school then explain that too.
    Try to come into school everyday, that way, if you do get ill then you can afford to take the day off without sacrificing your attendance.
    Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    they can't blame you for being ill! get a doctor's note if you're that worried

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!!
    I’m in year 8 and I tend to get ill quite easily but before the flu that went round my attendance was ok
    it was a bug that a lot of my friends got and I do understand that attendance is very important so I do try if I’m just a bit under the weather to come in but i also think if your poorly it can’t be helped I also get a lot of acid reflux that sometimes is the reason for me being off but I don’t want it to be an excuse for why my attendance is low
    Thank you 😉

ReputationRep:
    it's not true that universities require a certain percentage attendance - this doesn't even go on your university application especially from secondary school! so don't worry about attendance it won't affect your chances of getting into uni

ReputationRep:
    Droping to 85% or so won't get your parents in trouble, the school might want to speak to you or them briefly but just explain the situation - we're nearly out of flu/cold season now so you probably won't get sick again and then your average will increase over the year.

ReputationRep:
    Does your school have a target attendance? Mine is 95%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Eleven_)
    Does your school have a target attendance? Mine is 95%.
    Yeah we have 95% as a good attendance then 90 going up is ‘concerning’ attendance then anything below that is ‘bad’ )

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure your sickness is backed up by doctors notes and you will be fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.