Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I’m currently doing my A2 year of AQA Biology and I have an issue. I find the subjects content quite nice. But at the moment I’m getting C - B grades because I don’t understand the questions. I’ve literally memorised the content from my text book but then I get asked weird application questions, questions I’m unfamiliar with or the mark-scheme says the answer isn’t what I’d expect. How do I learn how to answer AQA Biology questions properly?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Yo, completely same problem and situation. Literally have no idea what to do, I know and understand the content just can't match my answers to mark schemes.E.g. did a question on ultrafiltration earlier (osmoregulation topic) and MS is just ridiculous- brings in irrelevant information.

ReputationRep:
    I had same problem at the start of last year only way to overcome this is by practicing questions. I suggest you do questions by topic it's a lot more structured revision. Also most the application questions are asking for a basic answer but they way they are written is confusing. I just figure out what the question actually wants me to write about and then because I have practiced questions I can write the answer in a similar way to what's on the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhruvap)
    I had same problem at the start of last year only way to overcome this is by practicing questions. I suggest you do questions by topic it's a lot more structured revision. Also most the application questions are asking for a basic answer but they way they are written is confusing. I just figure out what the question actually wants me to write about and then because I have practiced questions I can write the answer in a similar way to what's on the mark scheme.
    Thanks for the help. Do you know where I can find any exam questions to print off?

ReputationRep:
    Practice practice and practice! Do an absolute ton of past paper questions (you can find them on the AQA website,) you'll eventually start to learn what the examiners expect and how they mark questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atlas99)
    Thanks for the help. Do you know where I can find any exam questions to print off?
    1) physics and maths tutor
    2) there is a thread of 1000+ questions per topic on TSR.
    3) AQA website past papers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 8, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.