Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm currently deciding where to do F1/2, I'm deciding between London (North Central & East) and Manchester as 1st choice.

Eventually, I want to settle in London, but am not sure whether F1/2 is the right time to make the move there - it's gonna be mega stressful to start (I'm not really confident in my ability to be a good F1, at least initially), and London will be expensive - the main problem with that is that I'm not really sure what I want to do after F2, so I don't want to come out with no money behind me in case I need some time to figure things out, and if I only just get into the deanery, I might get a job in Zone 6, which is expensive even though living there isn't really going to give me the London experience (I definitely want to live very close to the hospital I work in, at least for the first year).

So at the moment I'm wondering if a good compromise would be to go to Manchester for F1/2, and then get some kind of SHO job in London when I'm a bit more confident in my work and will be able to apply for individual jobs in hospitals I want to work in, but I don't really know much about working as an "SHO" and how common the jobs are, and if it will be much more difficult to do it if I didn't train in London - Do I need to go through a locum agency? Are jobs through them usually only very temporary, whereas if I trained in London I could easily get onto a more stable SHO job?

Sorry for rambling, I'm just hoping I can get some kind of useful perspective on this, perhaps from someone that worked in this deanery for F1/2 and can tell me how things work after F2 (I'm almost certainly not going to go straight into training after F2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salad_fingers)
    Hi all. I'm currently deciding where to do F1/2, I'm deciding between London (North Central & East) and Manchester as 1st choice.

Eventually, I want to settle in London, but am not sure whether F1/2 is the right time to make the move there - it's gonna be mega stressful to start (I'm not really confident in my ability to be a good F1, at least initially), and London will be expensive - the main problem with that is that I'm not really sure what I want to do after F2, so I don't want to come out with no money behind me in case I need some time to figure things out, and if I only just get into the deanery, I might get a job in Zone 6, which is expensive even though living there isn't really going to give me the London experience (I definitely want to live very close to the hospital I work in, at least for the first year).

So at the moment I'm wondering if a good compromise would be to go to Manchester for F1/2, and then get some kind of SHO job in London when I'm a bit more confident in my work and will be able to apply for individual jobs in hospitals I want to work in, but I don't really know much about working as an "SHO" and how common the jobs are, and if it will be much more difficult to do it if I didn't train in London - Do I need to go through a locum agency? Are jobs through them usually only very temporary, whereas if I trained in London I could easily get onto a more stable SHO job?

Sorry for rambling, I'm just hoping I can get some kind of useful perspective on this, perhaps from someone that worked in this deanery for F1/2 and can tell me how things work after F2 (I'm almost certainly not going to go straight into training after F2).

This describes exactly my situation - I also wasn't keen on foundation years in London (or rather, somewhere within the M25 - maybe), so I did FY1/2 outside of London and now I'm applying for SHO posts back in London. I'm only applying to the hospitals in the areas I'm interested in - if I don't get anything by August (I suspect this is unlikely), I'll just locum while I carry on applying. No pressure.

What kind of specialties would you want to work in?

If you want to work in a stable/full time job you'll often see these advertised as "trust SHO" or junior clinical fellow. I've even seen a few jobs advertised as "FY3 in x". You apply online and it would be to that individual hospital. You can search here:

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/doctors/

The fact that you completed your foundation training outside of London won't make any difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    This describes exactly my situation - I also wasn't keen on foundation years in London (or rather, somewhere within the M25 - maybe), so I did FY1/2 outside of London and now I'm applying for SHO posts back in London. I'm only applying to the hospitals in the areas I'm interested in - if I don't get anything by August (I suspect this is unlikely), I'll just locum while I carry on applying. No pressure.

What kind of specialties would you want to work in?

If you want to work in a stable/full time job you'll often see these advertised as "trust SHO" or junior clinical fellow. I've even seen a few jobs advertised as "FY3 in x". You apply online and it would be to that individual hospital. You can search here:

https://www.jobs.nhs.uk/doctors/

The fact that you completed your foundation training outside of London won't make any difference.
    Thanks, good to know there's someone else in my position. Where did you do F1/2?
    As for specialities, mainly general med specialities (Acute, endocrine, gastro, oncology)

Thanks for the advice - the majority of these junior clinical fellow jobs I'm seeing are for ST1-3 though? I can't see many "SHO" posts in London, unless I'm looking at it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, good to know there's someone else in my position. Where did you do F1/2?
    As for specialities, mainly general med specialities (Acute, endocrine, gastro, oncology)

Thanks for the advice - the majority of these junior clinical fellow jobs I'm seeing are for ST1-3 though? I can't see many "SHO" posts in London, unless I'm looking at it wrong.
    If you've completed FY2, you are ST1 equivalent
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    but I don't really know much about working as an "SHO" and how common the jobs are, and if it will be much more difficult to do it if I didn't train in London
    In the current climate there are lots of jobs - it just depends how fussy you are. You place of trainig should not be relevant, excepting that you might hear about jobs easier with personal contacts.

Classically locums in London get paid a fair amount less than outside of London as doctors are more willing to work there. I do not have personal experience.

Do I need to go through a locum agency?
    You could but don't have to.

The main advantage is that you may have easy access to an internal staff bank. That's what i did for my FY3 (outside of London) - got offered regular shifts via the internal staff bank, took the ones i wanted, no locum agency/middle man to decrease my pay. Could earn as much in 4 long day shifts as i was earning in a month of FY2.

That's probably less applicable for the type of work you seem to be seeking though i.e. regular employment, not temp shifts.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, still can't choose haha. I guess I'll see which way I sway the night before it's due in :')

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.