Turn on thread page Beta

I come from the most deprived area in the UK, AMA watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erratic_deus)
    Those values fluctuate every year, but in terms of social mobility, cultural clashes, depravity, education and crime. Newham is definitely "up" there and it has been for a while.
    right but titling the thread Most Deprived Area is still wrong. Massively and 100% wrong.

Here's a photo of Oldham, Manchester from last summer, I was homeless there a few years back and I was gutted it still looked like this in 2017. Every road in the area looks like this. The area is a dead zone, and Jaywick in Essex is a toilet. No offense but Londoners are very provincial people, there's an entire country outside of London that's suffering just as much if not more. Like I told you in the other thread it's my passion.

(Original post by Danny the Geezer)
    The most deprived area in the country's in Manchester or Liverpool
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)
    right but titling the thread Most Deprived Area is still wrong. Massively and 100% wrong.

Here's a photo of Oldham, Manchester from last summer, I was homeless there a few years back and I was gutted it still looked like this in 2017. Every road in the area looks like this. The area is a dead zone, and Jaywick in Essex is a toilet. No offense but Londoners are very provincial people, there's an entire country outside of London that's suffering just as much if not more. Like I told you in the other thread it's my passion.

Whereabouts is this in Oldham? I am genuinely curious. Just because I am sure OP can find derelict buildings in Newham too. So is this in a prominent area of town?

I do agree with you that Londoners seem to be obsessed with their own plight, often losing sight of the larger national problems. The most accurate table I can find, on the ONS site (p 10), has it Middlesbrough, Knowsley Kingston Upon Hull, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Blackpool, Nottingham, Burnley, Hartlepool. The most deprived "area" in England is in fact in Tendring, Essex right next to Jaywick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Whereabouts is this in Oldham? I am genuinely curious. Just because I am sure OP can find derelict buildings in Newham too. So is this in a prominent area of town?

I do agree with you that Londoners seem to be obsessed with their own plight, often losing sight of the larger national problems. The most accurate table I can find, on the ONS site (p 10), has it Middlesbrough, Knowsley Kingston Upon Hull, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Blackpool, Nottingham, Burnley, Hartlepool. The most deprived "area" in England is in fact in Tendring, Essex right next to Jaywick.
    It's in St. Mary's, and it's bad all over, gloomy, derelict, and dead if you walk around in it, not just look at it. And in my opinion it's the typical British area that's why we can name so many

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bang Outta Order)

exactly

1. That is one building.

Sure a few towns can be derelict. Ever heard of brownfield/green sites? Those places - NO ONE LIVES THERE.
    Its an old factory building I'm supposing - production moved overseas to China and cheaper places. Companies left their factories there.
    Doesn't mean people live there. No one lives in that building.
    As for Newham, we have Carpenters Estate; E15 the old "stratford".
    Go into the wrong road and you'll get stabbed to death.
    Heard of postcode wars?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeeA)
    Statistically Oldham in Greater Manchester is the most deprived area in the uk. Newham isn't even in the top 10
    It isn't necessarily about that.
    Oldham has relatively few people; compared to Newham.
    Most of the buildings in Oldham are disused - no one lives there. They're derelict because production moved overseas in the 1980's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgehog88)
    Can you handle yourself in a fight? Are you well 'ard?
    No one really fights. Its usually a matter of who gets a knife out first. Which is why I go straight home from school + I don't go out on weekends

ReputationRep:
    Are you deprived yourself? Because it hardly counts if your parents are both professionals and you live in a semi-detached in suburbia.
    I live in a council flat in E12
    My parents are refugees
    My household income is about £18,600
    I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeFrazier)
    So right buy the Excel centre?
    by*
    and no.

ReputationRep:
    Um hate to tell you this OP but according to the last study on area deprivation carried out in 2015 by the dpeartment of communities and local Government Newham is not the most deprived area in the U.K, it isnt in the top 5 and staitiscally has acually become less deprived than it was in 2010. ranked from most to least deprived
    Middlesbrough, Knowsley, Kingston upon Hull ( where I'm from ), Liverpool and Manchester are the local authorities with the highest proportions of neighbourhoods among the most deprived in England.

link:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...al_Release.pdf

ReputationRep:
    I live in a council flat in E12
    My parents are refugees
    My household income is about £18,600
    I have 2 sisters and 2 brothers
    Whoa, you'd living like royalty with £18,600 where I'm from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Sweet Boy)
    I think you may be exaggerating!:eyeball:

I lived in Newham for three weeks and I was undisturbed. No-one threatened me.

Do you attend Newham College the Straford campus not East Ham?

Now that College is definitely aggressive and anti-social.:creep:

The girls there are easy and behave ghetto, especially the hijabis!

But it's easy for them to give you their number if you're attractive.

And the boys are hostile and dress trashy!:closedeyes:

What do you know about Queens Market that place always smells like fish.:dry:

That £1 fish man on X factor used to work there singing about fish. But he was subsequently deported back to Bangladesh after appearing on that show!:egg:
    Don't ever say "the hijabis" in a derogatory manner in your life again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ward47)
    Um hate to tell you this OP but according to the last study on area deprivation carried out in 2015 by the dpeartment of communities and local Government Newham is not the most deprived area in the U.K, it isnt in the top 5 and staitiscally has acually become less deprived than it was in 2010. ranked from most to least deprived
    Middlesbrough, Knowsley, Kingston upon Hull ( where I'm from ), Liverpool and Manchester are the local authorities with the highest proportions of neighbourhoods among the most deprived in England.

link:
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...al_Release.pdf
    I'm talking about towns.
    Also it isn't a competition.

ReputationRep:
    Whoa, you'd living like royalty with £18,600 where I'm from.
    Again, I live in London.
    Relative to me, my family is poor which is why I'm able to get many scholarships/outreach opportunities.
    Also, Newham is a very low participation area.
    Which is why - those who can, apply to Eton/Westminster/Cheltenhams and get in since £18k in Liverpool or whatever, is a decent salary whereas 18k in London, pretty much poverty.

ReputationRep:
    Don't ever say "the hijabis" in a derogatory manner in your life again
    Are you just assuming?:mute:

How did I say hijabis "in a derogatory manner"?:dong:

I am genuinely confused.

EDIT:Also you seem very hostile!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by French Sweet Boy)
    Are you just assuming?:mute:

How did I say hijabis "in a derogatory manner"?:dong:

I am genuinely confused.

EDIT:Also you seem very hostile!
    I don't usually respond to blatant socks but...

[newham] College is definitely aggressive and anti-social. --> is rude because not everyone is like that

The girls there are easy and behave ghetto, especially the hijabis!
    --> Racist and Islamophobic, ghetto because most residents of Newham are dark-skinned somalis/bangledeshi/afro-Caribbean?

That £1 fish man --> You clearly think you're above the £1 fish man since you used "that".
    Also your sentence was derogatory, "That £1 fish man on X factor used to work there singing about fish. But he was subsequently deported back to Bangladesh after appearing on that show!"
    Don't ever repeat any variation of this sentence or refer to someone as "that girl, boy etc".

boys are hostile and dress trashy ---> Again not ALL boys are hostile. How would you know this since you said "I lived in Newham for three weeks and I was undisturbed. No-one threatened me." suggesting you never saw anything terrible go on, but then you go on to say that people dress trashy, that clearly affected you yet you're undisturbed. But then you say that a place smells like fish.

Troll troll troll. Who is making all these sock accounts

ReputationRep:
    Again, I live in London.
    Relative to me, my family is poor which is why I'm able to get many scholarships/outreach opportunities.
    Which is why - those who can, apply to Eton/Westminster/Cheltenhams and get in since £18k in Liverpool or whatever, is a decent salary whereas 18k in London, pretty much poverty.
    Ahh, so on nearly £19,000 a year and attending Eton, but claims to be socially deprived. Yeah, good one.

I am being sarcastic, by the way. Being honest, I don't get the sense in forcefully identifying as socially deprived. For one, it doesn't really make sense because there are areas much worse off and indeed people much worse off. For example, you talk about low HE participation, your area (E14) is probably a 3 maybe a 4. Mine is a 1. You are hardly in a unique position. Second, it is nothing to brag about; you have other things which make you special.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, so on nearly £19,000 a year and attending Eton, but claims to be socially deprived. Yeah, good one.

I am being sarcastic, by the way. Being honest, I don't get the sense in forcefully identifying as socially deprived. For one, it doesn't really make sense because there are areas much worse off and indeed people much worse off. You talk about low HE participation, your area (E14) is probably a 3 maybe a 4. Mine is a 1. It is nothing to brag about; you have other things which make you special.
    I'm never going to Eton.
    Also I'm not from E14. Don't even think that is in Newham!

ReputationRep:
    I'm never going to Eton.
    Also I'm not from E14. Don't even think that is in Newham!
    I thought I read E14 somewhere. Oh E12; sorry I was working from memory, when I read the thread this morning. E12 is 3, 4 and 5. Not a single one on 1 or 2. Anyway, point stands that you should focus on bigger things.

ReputationRep:
    Again, I live in London.
    Do you go or plan to go to any of these?

ReputationRep:
    I thought I read E14 somewhere. Oh E12; sorry I was working from memory, when I read the thread this morning. E12 is 3, 4 and 5. Not a single one on 1 or 2. Anyway, point stands that you should focus on bigger things.
    But it isn't a competition.
    Also Newham has about 300,000 people.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.