Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit of a dilemma!

I will be going to University of Bristol in Sept, currently aged 21 but as my birthday is in September I will turn 22 when my course starts.

Is it controversial (?) for an older student to live in halls? I don't look my age and I have friends at all ages, always get on with everyone. I'm mature but I love to party and I love having a busy social life which is why accommodation for mature/postgrad students doesn't really appeal to me at all. This will also be the first time I'm moving out of my parents' house so will be in the same boat as everyone but will I not be judged or excluded based on my age, being surrounded by 18 year olds?

ReputationRep:
    It won't matter
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Mature student at 21...okayyyy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    Mature student at 21...okayyyy
    hahaha it's what I've been classified as honestly don't feel like a mature student personally

ReputationRep:
    If you spend your time telling everyone you are 21 and much more mature than everyone else, you'll get a reputation as a bit of a *******. I've seen it done.

If not, no one will give a toss about the age difference.

I stayed I halls when I was 24. It was no problem.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be fine. You're more likely to be annoyed by pi55head 17yr olds than vice versa.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulfolobus)
    If you spend your time telling everyone you are 21 and much more mature than everyone else, you'll get a reputation as a bit of a *******. I've seen it done.

If not, no one will give a toss about the age difference.

I stayed I halls when I was 24. It was no problem.
    Oh no, I'm not at all like that! I honestly get on with everyone.

That's reassuring, thank you

ReputationRep:
    I've been asking myself this question, however, I'll be 35 when I start and definitely can't pass for a school leaver.

Bit worried about being the OAP but also don't want to miss out on the experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saresfield)
    I've been asking myself this question, however, I'll be 35 when I start and definitely can't pass for a school leaver.

Bit worried about being the OAP but also don't want to miss out on the experience.
    I decided that I will apply for halls as I won't have this opportunity again and wouldn't wanna miss out on the experience!

ReputationRep:
    I was in halls at 22-23 and was treated no differently. I feel like I didn't struggle as much as I already knew how to budget, cook, clean up after myself, etc.

I didn't bank on having to teach four 18yos to cook and cleaning up after them when they went home for the weekend though.

ReputationRep:
    HA i live in halls, im 25 and dont really do partying (well, i drink but dont do clubbing) and im fine so you should have a great time. Also half the people i share with are like 21 so im sure you wont be the only one.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.