Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I've got an interview coming up with Leeds uni Biology department. It's the only uni that's asked for an interview before deciding whether or not to give me an offer, so I'm really not sure what to expect.

Does anyone know what kinds of questions they generally ask, like if they'll be more along the lines of 'why do you want to study biology at uni/ what do you want to do after uni' or whether they're likely to ask in-depth biology questions that you'd expect more of Oxbridge interviews? My careers teacher sort of freaked me out by giving me a list of mock questions that included stuff like 'how would you propose to cure cancer' and while I know they're not expecting you to be able to give a legitimate solution, I wouldn't even know where to begin if they sprung that on me.

Also if anyone's got any advice on effective preparation for science degree interviews that'd be super helpful! x
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is this an interview as part of an applicant day? Because I had an interview in an applicant day with a bunch of other events (e.g. tour, practical) for Microbiology the other week so if it's similar to that I can give a hand! (If I'm not too late!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yeahthatonethere)
    Is this an interview as part of an applicant day? Because I had an interview in an applicant day with a bunch of other events (e.g. tour, practical) for Microbiology the other week so if it's similar to that I can give a hand! (If I'm not too late!)
    hi i'm going to the applicant visit day tomorrow for biochemistry, i'd appreciate any advice you have and what the interview was like. have you heard back from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanobop)
    hi i'm going to the applicant visit day tomorrow for biochemistry, i'd appreciate any advice you have and what the interview was like. have you heard back from them yet?
    Just enjoy the day is the best advice I can give! It's seriously just a chat with a lecturer and it's really chilled. He asked me things like why leeds, why that course, any work experience and then let me ask any questions I had. It's just a nice 10 minute chat so don't worry!

I heard back within 2 days with an offer which I have now firmed but don't worry if it takes longer to get the offer!

Good luck and I hope it goes well.

ReputationRep:
    Just enjoy the day is the best advice I can give! It's seriously just a chat with a lecturer and it's really chilled. He asked me things like why leeds, why that course, any work experience and then let me ask any questions I had. It's just a nice 10 minute chat so don't worry!

I heard back within 2 days with an offer which I have now firmed but don't worry if it takes longer to get the offer!

Yh mine's also part of an applicant visit day, but that's such a relief to hear thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a Bio interview coming up too (mine's in March). From what I gather is that if you've gotten an interview you're more than likely to get a place; it's more of a way for the university to get to know you and entice you into firming them rather than being the deciding factor on whether you get an offer or not. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the advice! It went really well. I just got my offer yesterday! So excited!

ReputationRep:
    Had mine today, a phone interview, it was basically a friendly conversation. Be able to talk about your personal statement, why you want to study the course, and why leeds and youll do fine
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.