Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should a 22 year old stay in halls for first year? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if we get normal student loan? I’ll be 21 when I start, do we need to apply for adult learner stuff or can we do the normal student loan? :unsure:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should stay in halls. No one gives one jot of a **** how old you are, unless you're in your 30s. In that case, people will be more curious about your life experiences than put off.

(Original post by cat_mac)
    Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if we get normal student loan? I’ll be 21 when I start, do we need to apply for adult learner stuff or can we do the normal student loan? :unsure:
    SLC loan, like everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Of course you should stay in halls. No one gives one jot of a **** how old you are, unless you're in your 30s. In that case, people will be more curious about your life experiences than put off.

SLC loan, like everybody else.
    Oh good, thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm gonna be 27 when I go up, and I'm planning on living in halls for at least first year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Solardon)
    Just wondering if i should stay in halls in first year? I'm more inclined to sway towards renting a room in a house to be honest, but just wanted to have another opinion!

Cheers
    from personal experience. definitely a yes to you going into halls, but perhaps a no to you going into catered halls.

ReputationRep:
    if u want to have a laugh then yeah but if wanna just study then no. I came back to halls in final year after placement in quiet/returners flat and it’s ok. but I’ve done the whole freshers thing 2 times. So now living in blocks full of 18/19 year olds, loud and drunk especially if someone had pre drinks in our kitchen gets numbing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_mac)
    As the above poster said.... but it's also a hell of a lot easier since they don't require information on your parents income and all of that stuff.

You'll automatically qualify for the maximum loan amount, plus any bursaries offered by your university!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominoes)
    So now living in blocks full of 18/19 year olds, loud and drunk especially if someone had pre drinks in our kitchen gets numbing
    That is the downside. I don't think anybody should worry about being too old. If you want to, and you make the effort to join in then you'll almost certainly be accepted. You can party as much as you would have at 18. But most people will reach a point in their early to mid-twenties when the typical student lifestyle is more of a disruption than anything.

Having realised that my social life is not in anyway determined by where and who i'm living with, i've opted for a studio flat for my second-year. Going from living alone to student halls was a bit of a shock. I need my peace and quiet back.... and above all, a clean kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eisor1)
    I'm turning 21 next month and was wondering about the same thing but i wanna fully make an effort and integrate seeing as its a diff city so i'm gonna just bite the bullet and go with halls. A couple of my friends went into halls at similar age as us last year and really enjoyed it, and the friends they made you genuinely couldn't tell are younger than them unless someone actually pointed it out, thats why i'm doing halls anyway. No one really seems to care about age and odds are a lot of folk in halls will end up being like 19 cause of gap years and stuff.
    Know this doesnt really help but thought i'd give ya my thoughts on it
    The oldest guy in our hall was 21 when he started I was 20 it was fine.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.