Turn on thread page Beta

Justin Trudeau tells woman to say "peoplekind" instead of "mankind" watch

ReputationRep:
    This cringefest of a politician just keeps on giving.

'Mankind' is not exclusionary. It's used for both sexes. Pretty much always has. He sees 'man' in a word and thinks "Oh no, sexism! It excludes women!" But what about 'human', or the word 'woman' itself? Does he know anything at all about words? And all those morons clapping.... Ugh.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of the radical feminists who have a problem with the word "history" and want to change it to "herstory" despite the fact that "history" has no etymological link to masculine pronouns...
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    This cringefest of a politician just keeps on giving.

'Mankind' is not exclusionary. It's used for both sexes. Pretty much always has. He sees 'man' in a word and thinks "Oh no, sexism! It excludes women!" But what about 'human', or the word 'woman' itself? Does he know anything at all about words? And all those morons clapping.... Ugh.
    I was just about to say it. Soon enough humans will have to be called either human or huwoman😂😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dima-Blackburn)
    Wtf is peoplekind? Humankind makes more sense.
    Humankind is just a longer, clumsier version of mankind. And still contains 'man'.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    And still contains 'man'.
    That’s because men are superior. Everyone knows this, some women just hate to admit it.

ReputationRep:
    How about they don't do that? thanks

ReputationRep:
    What an embarrassment how did he win? oh yeah

GOOD LOOKING AND RICH PRIVILEGE

ReputationRep:
    This is the type of PC that I cannot stand. It’s so ridiculously unnecessary BRUH I can’t.

Man I love Canada and they have some great people but they’re lowkey a laughing stock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    That’s because men are superior. Everyone knows this, some women just hate to admit it.
    Man Power bruh!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Reminds me of the radical feminists who have a problem with the word "history" and want to change it to "herstory" despite the fact that "history" has no etymological link to masculine pronouns...
    That is so retarded, it actually made me laugh:laugh:

ReputationRep:
    How do people speaking Latin based languages manage?
    Half the words have gender attached to them and use the male version whenever it's a group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridocyclitis)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42952220

"Man" is a long-standing word for humanity as a whole. What next? Change "Human" to "Huperson"?
    I don't see what's wrong with peoplekind, as there are other people who are not men in the world...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)
    I don't see what's wrong with peoplekind
    Then you are part of the problem. 'Mankind' includes women. If you object that it includes the letters 'man' then so do 'human', 'humanity' and 'humane'. Would you object to being called humane, or would you insist on something else?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    How do people speaking Latin based languages manage?
    Half the words have gender attached to them and use the male version whenever it's a group.
    As someone who speaks a Latin based language I can confirm that ain’t true.

ReputationRep:
    Then you are part of the problem. 'Mankind' includes women. If you object that it includes the letters 'man' then so do 'human', 'humanity' and 'humane'. Would you object to being called humane, or would you insist on something else?
    If you where trying to spell human, instead of humane, then yes, I do think that it is sexist that manking, human, and yet more than half the human population are actually women, therefore making it illogical on two fronts. There are more important things in the world, but if another more gender fair species name was coined then I would use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Night King)
    As someone who speaks a Latin based language I can confirm that ain’t true.
    Which one. I'm sure that when I studied Spanish and French there were loads of words like that. e.g. table being female

Also I'm sure when you said they for a group of boys and girls it always takes the male they if any boys are in the group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoqua)
    If you where trying to spell human, instead of humane
    I'll assume you meant to write 'If you were trying to spell human instead of humane' and respond that I meant to spell exactly what I did spell: 'humane'.

ReputationRep:
    I'll assume you meant to write 'If you were trying to spell human instead of humane' and respond that I meant to spell exactly what I did spell: 'humane'.
    I would not particularly mind being called Humane if it meant that it represented a more logical percentage of the population. I am still not exactly clear what your point for not changing it to "peoplekind" is?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by AspiringUnderdog)
    Which one. I'm sure that when I studied Spanish and French there were loads of words like that. e.g. table being female

Also I'm sure when you said they for a group of boys and girls it always takes the male they if any boys are in the group.
    Romanian.

And ah yeah, you are right, think I just misunderstood what you said. Thought you said most words had the masculine gender attachment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2018
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.