Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ordinary 3-Years Residency - How your job experiences turn in your worst nightmare... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everybody,

I'm an Italian girl who has got three offers from all the three universities I chose for my Modern Foreign Languages PGCE application. I've just accepted the one from Bristol's University. Everybody was so impressed about my teaching experiences abroad, especially those of South America where I've spent some months during the past three years working and volunteering in public and private schools with students coming from several and different social and cultural backgrounds. Those amazing opportunities have enabled me to grow and develop an excellent knowledge of Spanish language that is, in fact, tha main target language required in the course I applied for (MFL PGCE Spanish with French).

I've lived for the main part of the last three years in Italy and I've never moved my permanent Italian address. I was so shocked to discover that the same working experiences that helped me to successfully pass all my three interviews, are representing a threat to my bursary or loans. A real life paradox! In total, I have spent like 6 months outside EU in 3 years! And most of the time I worked for an Italian school. Funding application for September 2018 haven't opened yet, so I couldn't get any useful advice so far....Could anyone of you help me to understand? Is Eu Students Dinance Team that strict? Or will they be reasonable and human people willing to examine better my situation? I cannot afford all those expenses and I am feeling so demotivated and depressed....
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Murat2015)
    Hey everybody,

I'm an Italian girl who has got three offers from all the three universities I chose for my Modern Foreign Languages PGCE application. I've just accepted the one from Bristol's University. Everybody was so impressed about my teaching experiences abroad, especially those of South America where I've spent some months during the past three years working and volunteering in public and private schools with students coming from several and different social and cultural backgrounds. Those amazing opportunities have enabled me to grow and develop an excellent knowledge of Spanish language that is, in fact, tha main target language required in the course I applied for (MFL PGCE Spanish with French).

I've lived for the main part of the last three years in Italy and I've never moved my permanent Italian address. I was so shocked to discover that the same working experiences that helped me to successfully pass all my three interviews, are representing a threat to my bursary or loans. A real life paradox! In total, I have spent like 6 months outside EU in 3 years! And most of the time I worked for an Italian school. Funding application for September 2018 haven't opened yet, so I couldn't get any useful advice so far....Could anyone of you help me to understand? Is Eu Students Dinance Team that strict? Or will they be reasonable and human people willing to examine better my situation? I cannot afford all those expenses and I am feeling so demotivated and depressed....
    Hi Murat2015,

You are correct, part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance as an EU student is that you are resident in the EU/EEA for the 3 years before the start of the the first academic year of the course. However, if you were outside the EU/EEA and it was a temporary break, you can still be eligible as long as you can show that the break was temporary.

Temporary breaks are things like:

-Holidays
    -Temporary work contracts
    -Posted overseas with HM armed forces
    -Parents working on a temporary work contract overseas
    -Gap years.

So if the time you worked overseas in South America was on a temporary contract/contracts, you can still be eligible. You would send copies of the contracts and a cover letter to explain that you were working overseas temporarily.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Murat2015,

You are correct, part of the criteria for being eligible for Student Finance as an EU student is that you are resident in the EU/EEA for the 3 years before the start of the the first academic year of the course. However, if you were outside the EU/EEA and it was a temporary break, you can still be eligible as long as you can show that the break was temporary.

Temporary breaks are things like:

-Holidays
    -Temporary work contracts
    -Posted overseas with HM armed forces
    -Parents working on a temporary work contract overseas
    -Gap years.

So if the time you worked overseas in South America was on a temporary contract/contracts, you can still be eligible. You would send copies of the contracts and a cover letter to explain that you were working overseas temporarily.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
    Hi John,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I had a fixed-term contract, till December. They asked me if I wanted to renew it, but my decision was to come back to Europe and study in Uk. I also sent my UCAS applcation in November, so my intention was pretty clear. Hope it helps. What do you specifically mean with "gap year"? Can it be also considered as a working year abroad?

Thank you again

Regards

Vera
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John,

Thank you so much for your reply.

I had a fixed-term contract, till December. They asked me if I wanted to renew it, but my decision was to come back to Europe and study in Uk. I also sent my UCAS applcation in November, so my intention was pretty clear. Hope it helps. What do you specifically mean with "gap year"? Can it be also considered as a working year abroad?

Thank you again

Regards

Vera
    Hi Murat2015,

You're very welcome.

That's great, a fixed-term contract is usually classed as temporary so you can still apply for student finance. With regards to the gap year, this is when a student takes a year abroad between studies, this was just another example of what can be classed as a temporary break. However, if were on a fixed-term contract, this would be classed as temporary also.

Best wishes,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Murat2015,

You're very welcome.

That's great, a fixed-term contract is usually classed as temporary so you can still apply for student finance. With regards to the gap year, this is when a student takes a year abroad between studies, this was just another example of what can be classed as a temporary break. However, if were on a fixed-term contract, this would be classed as temporary also.

Best wishes,

John.
    Great, so basically I need to prove that it was just a temporary absence, right? What about taxes? I worked in a private Italian school financed by both Peruvian and Italian authorities, and I paid taxes in Perù and in Italy as well..
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Great, so basically I need to prove that it was just a temporary absence, right? What about taxes? I worked in a private Italian school financed by both Peruvian and Italian authorities, and I paid taxes in Perù and in Italy as well..
    Hi Murat2015,

That's right, as long as you can show that it was a temporary absence, you'll still be able to apply. You won't need to provide any details of your taxes, just your contract or a letter from your employer(s) confirming that it was temporary work and the dates you worked there.

Best wishes,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Murat2015,

That's right, as long as you can show that it was a temporary absence, you'll still be able to apply. You won't need to provide any details of your taxes, just your contract or a letter from your employer(s) confirming that it was temporary work and the dates you worked there.

Best wishes,

John.
    Hi John,

glad to hear these positive news! One last question: do you know perhaps if I will need to send to EU Students Team my orginal documents such as identity card, driving license or passport in order to apply? Thank you very much
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi John,

glad to hear these positive news! One last question: do you know perhaps if I will need to send to EU Students Team my orginal documents such as identity card, driving license or passport in order to apply? Thank you very much
    Hi Murat2015,

I'm happy to give the good news.

When you apply for EU funding, you will be required to send ID evidence. However, you can send a certified copy of your passport or ID card so you don't have to send the original.

Best wishes,

John.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Murat2015,

I'm happy to give the good news.

When you apply for EU funding, you will be required to send ID evidence. However, you can send a certified copy of your passport or ID card so you don't have to send the original.

Best wishes,

John.
    Sounds great! Thank you very much! You've been extremely helpful
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sounds great! Thank you very much! You've been extremely helpful
    You're very welcome and best of luck with your studies.

John.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.