Turn on thread page Beta

Does this sound like depression? watch

I don't know whether this is depression or not. Obviously I should seek the advice of a medical professional (going to the doctor tomorrow) but want to know if anyone else has any insight into this.

So I feel very unhappy about myself: I feel uncertain about who I am and what I want (23 and feeling a bit lost). In addition, there is a constant sense of not being good enough. I am convinced that most people don't like me very much - even though several people have told me they do like and care about me. In busy social situations/groups I just want to leave because I'm convinced nobody will listen to anything I have to say. My thoughts are very negative and filled with self-hate. I will turn down job interviews, dates, nights out and other social events out of insecurity that I will not be liked/respected. I don't particularly like myself, so how can anybody else??

I don't feel suicidal. I don't cry very often. Don't self-harm and certainly don't tell anyone about any of this. But I am constantly trying to put on an act, a fake smile so that people will not see.

It can be difficult to say for sure.

You could try taking a questionnaire. This one (PHQ9) is used quite commonly:

https://patient.info/doctor/patient-...ionnaire-phq-9

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 6, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.