Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I would like to find out if I am eligible for student finance, and if so, how much and what type (i.e. maintenance and or tuition)? I am a mature student and this will be my second undergraduate degree. In addition, I have also studied for a masters and PhD (don't know if this is relevant but I thought I would mention it just in case). The degree I am applying for is a 5 year undergraduate medicine course in England. I am a UK resident.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tbh12)
    Hello,

I would like to find out if I am eligible for student finance, and if so, how much and what type (i.e. maintenance and or tuition)? I am a mature student and this will be my second undergraduate degree. In addition, I have also studied for a masters and PhD (don't know if this is relevant but I thought I would mention it just in case). The degree I am applying for is a 5 year undergraduate medicine course in England. I am a UK resident.
    Hi Tbh12,

Normally if you have a degree, you'd be ineligible for funding for a second degree, however, medicine is an exception course which can receive some funding for a second degree.

You'd be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan (ML) for the first 4 years of the course and Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan (RRML) in the 5th year.

The amount of ML you'd be eligible for would depend on a few factors.

May I just ask a couple of questions to help you further.

What age are you?
    Do you have a partner?

Thank you,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Tbh12,

Normally if you have a degree, you'd be ineligible for funding for a second degree, however, medicine is an exception course which can receive some funding for a second degree.

You'd be able to apply for a Maintenance Loan (ML) for the first 4 years of the course and Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan (RRML) in the 5th year.

The amount of ML you'd be eligible for would depend on a few factors.

May I just ask a couple of questions to help you further.

What age are you?
    Do you have a partner?

Thank you,

John.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am 29 years old (will turn 30 in a week). I am single.

From your response it seems like I will have to pay all of the tuition fees myself. Is this correct?

Thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tbh12)
    Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am 29 years old (will turn 30 in a week). I am single.

From your response it seems like I will have to pay all of the tuition fees myself. Is this correct?

Thanks
    Hi Tbh12,

Thanks very much for answering those questions.

You are correct, you'd be ineligible to receive the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) due to the first degree. Though it may be possible to receive funding from another source, I'd recommend speaking to the university as they might be able to point you in the right direction.

For the maintenance loan, you can have a look at the student finance calculator which will give you an idea of what you would receive.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John B SFE)
    Hi Tbh12,

Thanks very much for answering those questions.

You are correct, you'd be ineligible to receive the Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) due to the first degree. Though it may be possible to receive funding from another source, I'd recommend speaking to the university as they might be able to point you in the right direction.

For the maintenance loan, you can have a look at the student finance calculator which will give you an idea of what you would receive.

I hope this information helps.

Kind regards,

John.
    Thanks John for the information. It has been very helpful.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by tbh12)
    Thanks John for the information. It has been very helpful.
    You're very welcome.

Best wishes,

John.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.