Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Find the enthalpy change for the following reaction using the bond enthalpy data below:

C2H6+3 1/2 O2 -> 2CO2 + 3H2O

C-C= 348
    C-H= 412
    O=O= 496
    C=O= 743
    O-H= 463

really lost what to do especially cause the data the question says dosent say enthalpy change of combustion on enthalpy change formation

also why is it mixing in with organic chemistry when they give us a normal equation , someone help plz

ReputationRep:
    So i think if i draw the molecular diagram for ethane and the other , would that work ?

ReputationRep:
    someone plz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)
    Find the enthalpy change for the following reaction using the bond enthalpy data below:

C-C= 348
    C-H= 412
    O=O= 496
    C=O= 743
    O-H= 463

really lost what to do especially cause the data the question says dosent say enthalpy change of combustion on enthalpy change formation

also why is it mixing in with organic chemistry when they give us a normal equation , someone help plz
    It's a question where you need to do
    enthalpy change = energy needed to break bonds- energy given out making bonds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregor99)
    It's a question where you need to do
    enthalpy change = energy needed to break bonds- energy given out making bonds.
    what do i put on the bottom bit of the hess law triangle thing and what do i put on each one , idk what to do

ReputationRep:
    It is not Hess's law

ReputationRep:
    You work out the energy used for bonds breaking
    The energy released from new bonds being made then use the equation I have stated above.
    This may have been a method you used at GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ray_Shadows)

C-C= 348
    C-H= 412
    O=O= 496
    C=O= 743
    O-H= 463

This is not Hess's law, this is bond enthalpies. Remember break-make (minus the bonds made from the bonds formed).

ReputationRep:
    It is not Hess's law
    You work out the energy used for bonds breaking
    The energy released from new bonds being made then use the equation I have stated above.
    This may have been a method you used at GCSE
    (Original post by EdexcelAreIdiots)
    This is not Hess's law, this is bond enthalpies. Remember break-make (minus the bonds made from the bonds formed).
    well i'm thick af , ik what u guys mean now but i got confused cause my teacher literally gave us this sheet with a tittle saying hess's law calculations an question 1 has little to nothing to do with it , thanks guys XD

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.