Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I signed up for the army online and had to fill in a health questionnaire. Stupidly I thought it was okay to state I had some mental problems (also I've had an operation recently but am now fully healed), if I was a bit more on the ball I would have realised this would disqualify me.

The point is my issues are not terrible and being left out of employment is only going to make me feel worse. I am still not 100% sure I want to join but I want at least to have it as an option - I think it's a good thing, even though I'm not patriotic. Is there any way to reset my application?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Moved to Armed Forces.

(Original post by Dorthonion)
    Stupidly I thought it was okay to state I had some mental problems
    It's not stupid to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I feel I'm old enough to make decisions like this, tons of people probably lie on the medical, it is just a liability thing for them.

In fact I lied in the first place because I said I had been DIAGNOSED with problems, which I never have for anything specific, though I know something is wrong. However I do know being unemployed only makes it worse.

Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth would you declare you've been diagnosed with something, when you haven't?

If you progress with your application, they will look in to your docs and see that you haven't been diagnosed with it, which will then lead to further investigation, which will more than likely add months to your application.

ReputationRep:
    I feel I'm old enough to make decisions like this, tons of people probably lie on the medical, it is just a liability thing for them.
    It categorically is not, and those who lie will get found out and then, depending on where they've gotten to in the process, chucked out.

Medical standards matter a great deal, and can have a significant effect when dealing with the often harsh environments in which the armed forces operate.

The fact you don't appreciate this makes me question whether you are "old enough to make decisions like this", and whether you fully appreciate what it is you're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I haven't been diagnosed with something doesn't mean I am healthy. Does it even matter? Doctors are less likely to give out black and white 'you have conditions A B and C' diagnoses anyway nowadays, since mental health is complicated and nobody understands it fully. Plus lots of conditions are connected.

ReputationRep:
    Being gay was considered a mental condition until the 1970s.

ReputationRep:
    Either commit to joining up or don't. Don't apply just 'to have it as an option'. Be honest in everything you say. Integrity is vital, which you'll find out if you end up joining. As for the process - rules are rules and the process will be followed to the letter, allowing for second opinions where appropriate.

If you're 100% committed on joining up (and to be honest, it doesn't sound like you are) then apply again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I know something is wrong. However I do know being unemployed only makes it worse.
    Perhaps you should seek to resolve these problems then.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I haven't been diagnosed with something doesn't mean I am healthy. Does it even matter?
    Put yourself in the Dr's position. They receive your application where you have declared a medical condition. They will either refuse your application there and then, or, investigate and find nothing on your med docs, which will lead to further investigation where you may indeed be officially diagnosed and therefore deferred, or you are found fit for employment and all you have done is waste your time.

Have you self diagnosed via the internet?

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.