The Student Room Group

Postural orthostatic tachycardia (PoTS)/dysastomnia and Chemistry Practicals!

Okay so I'm an a level chemistry student with endometriosis and suspected PoTS and Ehlers Danlos syndrome (waiting on appointments to confirm).
So PoTS basically means that my blood vessels don't contract properly making my blood pool in my legs whenever I move into an upright position, unfortunately this means when I stand up my heart beats really really fast and my blood pressure drops until I end up collapsing or sitting down.
Now in Chemistry, I have to do several practicals which require standing for like an hour, which I cannot do. Especially as I'm handling chemicals, I feel like I'm a bit of a hazard to myself and the class if I try to go through with them (I get shaky/weak hands etc).
The problem is I need to do these practicals to get my endorsement which I need for uni. What do I do??? Are there any allowances for people like me at all? Please help!!
Original post by Bethany1309
Okay so I'm an a level chemistry student with endometriosis and suspected PoTS and Ehlers Danlos syndrome (waiting on appointments to confirm).
So PoTS basically means that my blood vessels don't contract properly making my blood pool in my legs whenever I move into an upright position, unfortunately this means when I stand up my heart beats really really fast and my blood pressure drops until I end up collapsing or sitting down.
Now in Chemistry, I have to do several practicals which require standing for like an hour, which I cannot do. Especially as I'm handling chemicals, I feel like I'm a bit of a hazard to myself and the class if I try to go through with them (I get shaky/weak hands etc).
The problem is I need to do these practicals to get my endorsement which I need for uni. What do I do??? Are there any allowances for people like me at all? Please help!!
Yes there are, speak to your SEN (Special Educational Needs) department, and the science/chemistry department and ask for a way around this.:smile: If they don't move fast enough, get Mum, Dad or whoever's at home to write in and complain to the head or deputy, who will make sure things happen.:yep:
I have POTs and EDS. You're allowed to ask for a stool whilst you do them. It wouldn't be an issue for you to have a chair/stool to lean/sit on. However, they may ask for medical proof so you would need to get a diagnosis first.

Original post by Bethany1309
Reply 3
Not sure a stool would be good when handling chemicals though. :dontknow: When I was at school (specifically when doing A-Levels and was struggling a lot more with POTS/hEDS stuff) I had a lot of issues with passing out during practicals or spilling things because of my hands not working (I have pretty severe issues with the joints in my hands and can't write, etc. because of it). :redface: Don't remember how we got around this issue though. Sorry! Definitely talk to whoever deals with SEN. :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest