Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just got an offer to study this course at Exeter, and I was wondering if anyone knew about how the course is structured in terms of seminar/lecture hours? Also, does anyone know how likely it is to get a work placement which is offered on the course? If anyone has anything to add about Exeter or the course in general, please feel free!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Sebster12)
    Hey, I just got an offer to study this course at Exeter, and I was wondering if anyone knew about how the course is structured in terms of seminar/lecture hours? Also, does anyone know how likely it is to get a work placement which is offered on the course? If anyone has anything to add about Exeter or the course in general, please feel free!
    All this info will be on the website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    All this info will be on the website.
    Well, it's not or I wouldn't have asked.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Well, it's not or I wouldn't have asked.
    Really? I just looked it up here and here. You've applied for the course so presumably you've spent a lot more time researching this. You can expect to treat a masters degree like a full time job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Really? I just looked it up here and here. You've applied for the course so presumably you've spent a lot more time researching this. You can expect to treat a masters degree like a full time job.
    Okay obviously I've seen and read those pages, but if you had read my question properly, I was asking about contact hours and how busy a weekly timetable would be. My question was geared towards those who had experience in studying this course.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Okay obviously I've seen and read those pages, but if you had read my question properly, I was asking about contact hours and how busy a weekly timetable would be. My question was geared towards those who had experience in studying this course.
    Well you’ve asked questions which are easily answered by those webpages so it isn’t obvious that you’ve read them. Anyway I think you have your answers so there’s no point in going around in circles. Postgrads don’t tend to stick around. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm really quite undecided on which university is best for a postgraduate course in International Relations or Conflict, Security, and Development. I know that Exeter has the higher prestige of all them, but I've heard great things about Sussex and Aberystwyth being world-renowned for their IR department. I'm not that fussed on the university being lively and social, as I know I'll be run down with work most of the time, but which university will employers look to in higher regard? (For International Relations type jobs?)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm really quite undecided on which university is best for a postgraduate course in International Relations or Conflict, Security, and Development. I know that Exeter has the higher prestige of all them, but I've heard great things about Sussex and Aberystwyth being world-renowned for their IR department. I'm not that fussed on the university being lively and social, as I know I'll be run down with work most of the time, but which university will employers look to in higher regard? (For International Relations type jobs?)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    Exeter has th highest prestige and is targeted by employers so if that is your only consideration that would be your choice. However, you need to check which course you prefer and the type of environment you want to spend your time in. Aberystwyth is an extremely small seaside town. Exeter a small city. Sussex is in a much larger city and Queen Mary is in a vast one.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper

Thanks!
    For IR type jobs, Aber is the one that stands out above all of those. Sussex has a reputation in certain areas, neither Exeter nor QM is bad for IR.

Tcannon seems to have the most current info

ReputationRep:
    Please explain how you measure 'prestige'?

(Please see https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...1#post43168631 for guidance on how to answer this qusetion)

ReputationRep:
    What are your specific areas of interests within IR:
    Core: Governance, Policy Analysis, Political Economy
    Electives: Dev, Critical Theory, Educa, Peace, Gender, Inequality, Health

So it really depends, but my money would be on Sussex on your list. It hosts the well regarded Institute of Dev Studies, good industry contact: some NGOs send their staff for training to Sussex IDS, good research centre with publications of discussion papers. I have read a few and found their ideas intriguing. A few smart international students are government funded and Sussex manages to recruit them. I also like the various guest speaker series and conferences organised by Sussex IDS for networking. In some US IR ranking, Sussex was listed as strong in academic research for Critical Theory in a list dominated by mostly US programmes. Sussex IDS also participates in international research, profs tend to have a good network abroad. The alumni network is well developed and may be useful. Finally, some development orgs attend the career fair. But if you prefer security, war studies, terrorism, then there are other programmes with a better fit.

Aberystwyth is traditionally strong in international comparative politics, Peace & Conflict studies. Possibly stronger on academic research than government affairs. Both Sussex and Aberystwyth have strong programmes across BA, MSc and PhD programmes. I think both are somewhat underrated. A few students at both programmes have posted on TSR and they tend to be satisfied with their overall experience. Cannot say about placement, it also depends on your profile such as prior relevant internships (EU, UN, government departments).

Exeter and QMUL are not on my IR radar. Sorry. There are other soft factors I would suggest to look for. Example: Does programme offer a trek to International Organisations, this may be relevant to your goals. SOAS has a Geneva trek, LSE goes to Brussels. Student Model UN at uni are quite useful for IR geeks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about high regard but I do know that Sussex is currently ranked #1 in the world for development studies, it's a uni that is pretty well known for that department
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tcannon)
    What are your specific areas of interests within IR:
    Core: Governance, Policy Analysis, Political Economy
    Electives: Dev, Critical Theory, Educa, Peace, Gender, Inequality, Health

So it really depends, but my money would be on Sussex on your list. It hosts the well regarded Institute of Dev Studies, good industry contact: some NGOs send their staff for training to Sussex IDS, good research centre with publications of discussion papers. I have read a few and found their ideas intriguing. A few smart international students are government funded and Sussex manages to recruit them. I also like the various guest speaker series and conferences organised by Sussex IDS for networking. In some US IR ranking, Sussex was listed as strong in academic research for Critical Theory in a list dominated by mostly US programmes. Sussex IDS also participates in international research, profs tend to have a good network abroad. The alumni network is well developed and may be useful. Finally, some development orgs attend the career fair. But if you prefer security, war studies, terrorism, then there are other programmes with a better fit.

Aberystwyth is traditionally strong in international comparative politics, Peace & Conflict studies. Possibly stronger on academic research than government affairs. Both Sussex and Aberystwyth have strong programmes across BA, MSc and PhD programmes. I think both are somewhat underrated. A few students at both programmes have posted on TSR and they tend to be satisfied with their overall experience. Cannot say about placement, it also depends on your profile such as prior relevant internships (EU, UN, government departments).

Exeter and QMUL are not on my IR radar. Sorry. There are other soft factors I would suggest to look for. Example: Does programme offer a trek to International Organisations, this may be relevant to your goals. SOAS has a Geneva trek, LSE goes to Brussels. Student Model UN at uni are quite useful for IR geeks.
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'm also leaning towards Sussex. So would a Masters in Conflict, Security, and Development at Sussex (which also offer you a work placement over the summer) would be the best fit for someone who wants to go into international development?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your reply! I'm also leaning towards Sussex. So would a Masters in Conflict, Security, and Development at Sussex (which also offer you a work placement over the summer) would be the best fit for someone who wants to go into international development?
    No such thing as a 'best fit' really - any of them are fine, Sussex is definitely a very good option.

Be aware though that a lot of people who have grand ideas about 'going into international development' (which I tend to take as evidence of a slight hero/saviour complex) are disappointed - either they get a job after an extremely intellectual and critical education from somewhere like Sussex, and are very disappointed in the realities of neoliberal development practice (I know a few of those people myself), or they find it hard to get jobs.

Can't remember if it was you I talked to on another thread about this, if so, sorry for repeating myself, but I don't think an academic degree in development studies is the magic ticket to UNICEF that some people seem to think it is. The job market is extremely competitive and tends to require a lot of networking/conferences/unpaid internships to get your foot in the door.

Definitely worthwhile, I'd love to do a Masters at Sussex (indeed, I nearly did that exact one!), it will be a fantastic experience and will prepare you for several career paths. Just don't expect to come out as a trained 'development practitioner' (whatever that means).

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.