Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This is a really weird scenario, so hear me out...

Basically, I've been known under a double barrelled surname of both my legal surname and my stepdad's surname (stepdad's first, then legal) for the past eight years. This hasn't been an issue before, but my high school assumed (without checking) that this surname was my legal one, and put me in for my exams under it. It's basically a preferred surname, as I'm not in contact with my biological father, and using my legal surname gives me the heebiejeebies. (I would have legally changed my name, but I applied to UCAS under my legal name, so I need to wait until I'm safely at uni until I can change it to the name I want to be known as.)

I actually believed it was my legal surname until very recently (eg. last April), when it was too late to change my GCSE certificates to just my legal surname. I will be frank, this entire debacle is entirely the fault of my old high school. Well, kind of, I do accept that I messed up, but my mum insisted that it would be okay when I got the certificates...

So, basically, I'm sitting my A levels under my legal name, and I also applied to uni (and got offers) under this name too. I have emailed my first and second choice universities to check with them, but I wanted to ask this on here too.

Should it be an issue that my GCSE certificates are under a different name to my legal name, that I can't provide evidence of change for? It's about £50 per certificate to provide evidence of an incorrect name on the original certificates, and considering I did 11 GCSEs, I actually refuse to go down this route, as it was not really my own error at all (apart from being a dumbass who didn't notice the error until my sixth form asked me about it), and I don't think my GCSE certificates will matter after my degree is over.

My theory is that I should be able to contact my old high school and get them to send a statement of verification that I am the same person. I put the name I sat my GCSEs under as a 'previous name' on my UCAS form, too, but I'm not sure if they'll want proof of my changed name. I could always fake a deed poll, I guess XD
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by EllieCeeJay)
    This is a really weird scenario, so hear me out...

Basically, I've been known under a double barrelled surname of both my legal surname and my stepdad's surname (stepdad's first, then legal) for the past eight years. This hasn't been an issue before, but my high school assumed (without checking) that this surname was my legal one, and put me in for my exams under it. It's basically a preferred surname, as I'm not in contact with my biological father, and using my legal surname gives me the heebiejeebies. (I would have legally changed my name, but I applied to UCAS under my legal name, so I need to wait until I'm safely at uni until I can change it to the name I want to be known as.)

I actually believed it was my legal surname until very recently (eg. last April), when it was too late to change my GCSE certificates to just my legal surname. I will be frank, this entire debacle is entirely the fault of my old high school. Well, kind of, I do accept that I messed up, but my mum insisted that it would be okay when I got the certificates...

So, basically, I'm sitting my A levels under my legal name, and I also applied to uni (and got offers) under this name too. I have emailed my first and second choice universities to check with them, but I wanted to ask this on here too.

Should it be an issue that my GCSE certificates are under a different name to my legal name, that I can't provide evidence of change for? It's about £50 per certificate to provide evidence of an incorrect name on the original certificates, and considering I did 11 GCSEs, I actually refuse to go down this route, as it was not really my own error at all (apart from being a dumbass who didn't notice the error until my sixth form asked me about it), and I don't think my GCSE certificates will matter after my degree is over.

My theory is that I should be able to contact my old high school and get them to send a statement of verification that I am the same person. I put the name I sat my GCSEs under as a 'previous name' on my UCAS form, too, but I'm not sure if they'll want proof of my changed name. I could always fake a deed poll, I guess XD
    Well it all depends on what the uni says and not on what anyone here says. Wait and see what they have to say and then decide what to do next.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Well it all depends on what the uni says and not on what anyone here says. Wait and see what they have to say and then decide what to do next.
    True, but at the same time, I'm hoping that there's someone who's had a similar experience can tell me what their outcome was. I have no idea when the uni will get back to me, and my anxiety demands that I get an answer ASAP.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    True, but at the same time, I'm hoping that there's someone who's had a similar experience can tell me what their outcome was. I have no idea when the uni will get back to me, and my anxiety demands that I get an answer ASAP.
    It's highly unlikely that there will be someone with exactly your experience and even then there may be a number of reasons why things may work out differently for you so it is best to wait. Unfortunately things in life do take time. Sorry! Maybe you need to think of ways in which to manage your anxiety as this will not be the last thing you will have to wait for. Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    You only pay the fee to correct your name once per exam board (not once per GCSE) - so the cost isn't huge (max of £150 if you took GCSEs across 3 exam boards - most people don't have more than 1 or 2). If it was your schools fault and they admit that then they may be willing to share the costs.

Alternatively if you change your name legally now and get your A level name amended and notify UCAS and your universities then all of your documents would have your preferred and new legal name on them. It's pretty simple to change your name legally - https://freedeedpoll.org.uk/ explains how to do it. UCAS and universities will amend your application no problem.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (oh and your GCSEs can and will be asked for by many employers)

ReputationRep:
    Update: thanks to the replies I got, I spoke to both of the universities and they both said it was fine. I know my GCSEs will be asked for by employers but I've contacted my high school to get them to provide me with a letter confirming my identity.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.