samrichardsonn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi,

doing an essay on whether or not people choose to live in poverty. One of my points I'm using is teenagers choosing to have children. I'm trying to link teenage pregnancy in with Functionalism. I keep finding conflicting things about it;

1. Durkheim was into his traditional families, teenage pregnancy wasn't much of a thing back when he was writing and would consider such teenagers as living in an anomie
2. Durkheim however would see a benefit in teenage pregnancy as it would result in more workers etc?

In a complete pickle about it all. Any help would be appreciated.
MorgzC
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'd say go with your first point. Teenage pregnancies (usually) end up becoming lone parent families, which is not the idealistic nuclear family Durkheim/Functionalists want society to have. Also a teenage pregnancy would signify lack of socialization that functionalist strive for for the same reason of they usually become lone parent families from both the teenage pregnancy part AND the teenagers inability to socialize their child properly. (if that makes any sense)

Good luck with your essay!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (143)
42.56%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.61%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.43%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.12%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.95%

Watched Threads