Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which uni for Cyber security/Computer Science course? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, i am currently deciding between which unis to apply for to study computer science, ideally with a strong pathway to cyber security. I am not looking to join any of the top 5 unis in London.

At the moment, my options are:
    UWL - Cyber Security with Foundation BSc
    London Met - Cyber Security Extended BSc
    Westminster - Computer Network Security with Founation BSc
    Kingston - Cyber Security with Computer Forensics BSc
    LSBU - Computer Foundation > Computer Science BSc
    UEL - Computer Science (with Foundation Year) BSc

Can anyone share any experience about the following courses and schools (uni life, course structure, teachers, students, career guidance, job placements, facilities)? I am looking to start Sept 2018. And also if anyone knows any information regarding partial scholarships/bursaries from the respective schools for international students, very much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I can’t comment on any of those ones but I know Portsmouth uni has a very good reputation for their cyber security and forensics courses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fresher18)
    I can’t comment on any of those ones but I know Portsmouth uni has a very good reputation for their cyber security and forensics courses
    thanks for your reply! But i'm only looking at ones in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k135243)
    thanks for your reply! But i'm only looking at ones in London.
    Hello,

Have you considered Royal Holloway? It has a long history of Cyber Security and was one of the first uni's to get the GCHQ accreditation IIRC.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/comp...nsecurity.aspx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jestersnow)
    Hello,

Have you considered Royal Holloway? It has a long history of Cyber Security and was one of the first uni's to get the GCHQ accreditation IIRC.

https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/comp...nsecurity.aspx
    unfortunately royal holloway is too far out of my budget

ReputationRep:
    Contact Royal Holloway anyway. I know they offer DCIM/NCSc/GCHQ grants (or use to) so you may be able to get in there.

However I'll fly through your list (never studied at any of these BTW but I have worked in the Cyber Security Sector and have an MSc Cyber Security) FWIW

UWL - Cyber Security with Foundation BSc: Seems to charge the exact same fees as Royal Holloway?? Otherwise a solid choice, as many "Cyber Security" degrees lack fundamental Computer Science foundation that is essential to the field.

London Met - Cyber Security Extended BSc: Not much detail on the modules which would put me off straight away, but you can possibly get that at an Open day. Again, same fees as RH and UWL.

Westminster - Computer Network Security with Founation BSc:
    Again, exact same fees as the others (I am assuming these unis are helping you out financially??). Looks like a good selection of modules but... you are very much focused on networking and security. Without having actually worked in those areas (security can be very boring), are you 100% sure you'd be happy pigeon holing yourself in those areas?

Kingston - Cyber Security with Computer Forensics BSc: Again, the fees... Looks okay but will depend very much on your placement year.

LSBU - Computer Foundation Computer Science BSc: I'm giving up on mentioning the similarities of the fees lol! Looks okay, but not too heavy on cyber security (which may or may not be a bad thing)

UEL - Computer Science (with Foundation Year) BSc: See LSBU

I am guessing you are getting some kind of grant or support from the aforementioned universities because certainly in terms of fees they are identical to Royal Holloway. Or perhaps the travel costs of RHUL or accommodation might be more for you.

Personally I liked UWL the most, but that's at first glance. I would check out who has the best placement opportunities too. That goes a long way to the kind of job you can get afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Contact Royal Holloway anyway. I know they offer DCIM/NCSc/GCHQ grants (or use to) so you may be able to get in there.

However I'll fly through your list (never studied at any of these BTW but I have worked in the Cyber Security Sector and have an MSc Cyber Security) FWIW

UWL - Cyber Security with Foundation BSc: Seems to charge the exact same fees as Royal Holloway?? Otherwise a solid choice, as many "Cyber Security" degrees lack fundamental Computer Science foundation that is essential to the field.

London Met - Cyber Security Extended BSc: Not much detail on the modules which would put me off straight away, but you can possibly get that at an Open day. Again, same fees as RH and UWL.

Westminster - Computer Network Security with Founation BSc: Again, exact same fees as the others (I am assuming these unis are helping you out financially??). Looks like a good selection of modules but... you are very much focused on networking and security. Without having actually worked in those areas (security can be very boring), are you 100% sure you'd be happy pigeon holing yourself in those areas?

Kingston - Cyber Security with Computer Forensics BSc: Again, the fees... Looks okay but will depend very much on your placement year.

LSBU - Computer Foundation Computer Science BSc: I'm giving up on mentioning the similarities of the fees lol! Looks okay, but not too heavy on cyber security (which may or may not be a bad thing)

UEL - Computer Science (with Foundation Year) BSc: See LSBU

I am guessing you are getting some kind of grant or support from the aforementioned universities because certainly in terms of fees they are identical to Royal Holloway. Or perhaps the travel costs of RHUL or accommodation might be more for you.

Personally I liked UWL the most, but that's at first glance. I would check out who has the best placement opportunities too. That goes a long way to the kind of job you can get afterwards.
    They arent all the same fees, i'm thinking you're looking at UK/EU fees instead of international, and its a huge difference

ReputationRep:
    They arent all the same fees, i'm thinking you're looking at UK/EU fees instead of international, and its a huge difference

Aw I beg your pardon you are correct. If it was me then UWL based purely on the course descriptions. Have you much experience of cyber security?

ReputationRep:
    Aw I beg your pardon you are correct. If it was me then UWL based purely on the course descriptions. Have you much experience of cyber security?
    none at all, im going in on foundation year. But between now till september i will do self learning online to prepare myself
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Hi k135243,

Royal Holloway offers a number of scholarships to our students, including department specific and International Excellence. I would recommend taking a look at our scholarships webpage here to view a full breakdown of each scholarship.

As far as our Computer Science BSc, you can be sure that you are joining an elite department that has been ranked 11th in the UK for the quality of its research (Research Exercise Framework 2014). This course is also accredited by BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT, and the European Quality Assurance Network for Informatics Education (EQANIE).

I'm a recent graduate from Royal Holloway and loved my time there, so if you have any questions, please just let me know!

Susana

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.