Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just studied how autopolyploids and allopolyploids form and would greatly appreciate if someone could clarify something for me.

From what I understood autopolyploids form from the fusion of diploid gametes from diploid parents. Allopolyploids form when haploid gametes from two different species fuse, followed by spontaneous doubling of chromosomes.

In both cases a tetraploid organism is formed but the stage at which the the chromosomes doubles for autopolyploids and allopolyploids is meiosis and mitosis respectively.

Is what I have written correct?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    bump
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Keira Larkin)
    I just studied how autopolyploids and allopolyploids form and would greatly appreciate if someone could clarify something for me.

From what I understood autopolyploids form from the fusion of diploid gametes from diploid parents. Allopolyploids form when haploid gametes from two different species fuse, followed by spontaneous doubling of chromosomes.

In both cases a tetraploid organism is formed but the stage at which the the chromosomes doubles for autopolyploids and allopolyploids is meiosis and mitosis respectively.

Is what I have written correct?

Thanks in advance.
    Except for your statement in bold print, I quite agree what you said. But it has not to be tetraploid automatically. if the haploid or diploid chromosome set exists just twice (n = 2), that would be true, but if a chromosome set exists more than twice (n = 3 at least), it comes to hexaploid chromosomes at least after doubling them.

Hope I was not too late. Just see that you have written it four days ago...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Except for your statement in bold print, I quite agree what you said. But it has not to be tetraploid automatically. if the haploid or diploid chromosome set exists just twice (n = 2), that would be true, but when if a chromosome set exists more than twice (n = 3 at least), it comes to hexaploid chromosomes at least after doubling them.

Hope I was not too late. Just see that you have written it four days ago...
    Thank you very much
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Keira Larkin)
    Thank you very much
    Good to know that I was not to late to reply. Always a pleasure to help in questions of sciences.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.