The Student Room Group

UCAS

Please can someone advise whether universities can see a list of the other institutions you’ve applied for on your UCAS form? I’d like to apply for Oxford, amongst others, and I’m afraid this will disadvantage my application with some other prestigious universities.

Thank you.
Reply 1
They can’t. Don’t even worry about it.
Original post by Yoshi12345
Please can someone advise whether universities can see a list of the other institutions you’ve applied for on your UCAS form? I’d like to apply for Oxford, amongst others, and I’m afraid this will disadvantage my application with some other prestigious universities.

Thank you.

When you pick your firm and insurance choice then they can all see where else you applied. They can’t see that information when they’re deciding whether to make an offer or not.
The only thing that they know when you apply to Oxbridge is that you applied before the mid-October Oxbridge deadline. This does give them an idea that many people who applied before then will have applied to Oxbridge.
However, if anything, this puts you at an advantage. In my experience my other universities went out of the way to contact us and invite us to interviews almost immediately after the October deadline passed while people who applied even shortly after the October deadline had to wait until December or January for interviews. Many universities are also likely to issue you an offer sooner because they know the sooner they do it the more likely you are to accept it.
However, it's not all good. I applied to Exeter believing they didn't do interviews until I got an email days after applying to say I had to come to an interview. The interview itself was a sham, everyone was asked really easy questions, and the rest of the day was for trying to convince us to choose Exeter. Many people who applied later than me for the same course got an offer without having to go for an interview and they got lower offers than me. I was given a silly high offer and told they'd reduce it (hugely) if I chose them as my firm choice. I believe this is because I was an early applicant with high predicted grades.
Apart from my little rant about Exeter, don't let that worry put you off applying to Oxford, it doesn't harm your chances at other universities at all (except Exeter, don't apply to them).
They an only see other courses you've applied to at their university. So if you applied for two courses at Edinburgh they can see that.
Otherwise they have no idea, they may know you are most likely Oxbridge though if you apply before the October deadline unless your a medic, dentist or vet med applicant.
Reply 5
Thank you - that’s very helpful and reassuring.
Original post by Yoshi12345

Thank you.

As above. Plus you don't have to apply to all 5 choices at once. You could apply just to Oxford by the early deadline then add your others later, for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending