Is it worth taking notes from my law textbooks? Year 1

Watch
rmy16
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Exams are only 3 months away so I'm beginning to think about starting to seriously revise.

I've been taking notes from my textbook but I honestly think it doesn't help at all but everyone else I know has been doing that.

I'm thinking of just reading through, highlighting and making self-test questions instead of actually writing anything and reading,highlighting and summarising journal articles but I'm not sure if it's gonna work and nobody else I know is doing this.

Anyone got any tips/opinions
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rmy16)
Exams are only 3 months away so I'm beginning to think about starting to seriously revise.

I've been taking notes from my textbook but I honestly think it doesn't help at all but everyone else I know has been doing that.

I'm thinking of just reading through, highlighting and making self-test questions instead of actually writing anything and reading,highlighting and summarising journal articles but I'm not sure if it's gonna work and nobody else I know is doing this.

Anyone got any tips/opinions
Revise in whatever way suits you. You managed it in A level so continue with that method. Maybe get a revision textbook, which would be shorter and easier to get through. Writing notes for some people is a form of revision.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It really does vary, unfortunately, on your learning style, the course content and the way the textbook is written. If your lectures cover more than your textbook, there is little sense in using your textbook as your main source.

The best way to develop notes is to do just that, develop them. So start from a simple 1 or 2 page outline of a topic -- maybe a diagram -- and slowly over time fill that outline up by adding controversies and journal article summaries, and little observations you have made. The underlying goal will always to keep the notes simple, though.

How I have all my notes for all my topics is 1 or 2 pages of simple one-sentence principles and then after that I have the full-blown notes maybe 10-12 pages long. I am confident that if I need to know a fact fast I can find it on the first page summary, and if I want to know an in-depth reason I can simply go to my full notes. That's just the way I learn best, and it might not be the same for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (54)
6.07%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (94)
10.56%
Lack of purpose or motivation (110)
12.36%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.94%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (48)
5.39%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (99)
11.12%
Financial worries (60)
6.74%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (40)
4.49%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.29%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.92%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (86)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (72)
8.09%

Watched Threads