Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a distance MA and I'm 7 assignments in now and haven't once received my grade within the 28 days that they promise. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've tried talking to the department admin as I always have to chase my feedback but they don't seem to care. Who can I speak to about it/what can I do to get my feedback quicker? It feels really unfair that they usually only return grades a week or so before the next assignment is due in so I never have time to implement any of the feedback or learn from it.

It feels like because I'm an off campus student they just don't care at all

ReputationRep:
    Cumulatively, by now, you'll have received a fair bit of feedback which you can apply. The reality is that undergrad and even postgrad students tend not to be tutors' highest priority. They'll be working on their own research, chasing funding, writing for publications etc. Not the news you want, but a reality check nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrSocSciences)
    Cumulatively, by now, you'll have received a fair bit of feedback which you can apply. The reality is that undergrad and even postgrad students tend not to be tutors' highest priority. They'll be working on their own research, chasing funding, writing for publications etc. Not the news you want, but a reality check nonetheless.

I do implement my feedback every time but obviously there's always things to improve in. It's really frustrating not having all our feedback as a distance students it's the only time we hear from our tutors and I don't have any other chance to get advice from them really.

They're saying the reason the marking was held up by weeks this time is because there was a high volume of it, but surely they decide when the deadlines are? How can they expect students to manage their workloads if they won't do it themselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soylatte91)
    I do implement my feedback every time but obviously there's always things to improve in. It's really frustrating not having all our feedback as a distance students it's the only time we hear from our tutors and I don't have any other chance to get advice from them really.

They're saying the reason the marking was held up by weeks this time is because there was a high volume of it, but surely they decide when the deadlines are? How can they expect students to manage their workloads if they won't do it themselves?
    In that case, you should try addressing the problem differently: i.e. engaging with your tutors in the phase between being given the assignment, and it's submission.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by soylatte91)
    I'm doing a distance MA and I'm 7 assignments in now and haven't once received my grade within the 28 days that they promise. Does anyone else have this problem?

I've tried talking to the department admin as I always have to chase my feedback but they don't seem to care. Who can I speak to about it/what can I do to get my feedback quicker? It feels really unfair that they usually only return grades a week or so before the next assignment is due in so I never have time to implement any of the feedback or learn from it.

It feels like because I'm an off campus student they just don't care at all
    Hi,

I'm really sorry this has happened. You make a very good point and it is reasonable to expect the department to hold up their end of the bargain. If going through the department and your tutors hasn't worked, you should get in touch with your course rep. I'm not sure what course you're studying, so I've attached the page to look for yours here.

Hope this helps,
    Jai

ReputationRep:
    I've only had one assignment back (Museum Studies MA) and that was a few days late.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 12, 2018
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.