61 UK Universities to strike over pensions

Watch
TSR George
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Anyone else heard about this? Is it true?

https://www.ucu.org.uk/article/9242/...n-pensions-row
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just got an email off the SU telling me about it. Read one line and deleted the email. I have my own **** to worry about thanks.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am afraid civil servants, local authority and education workers are going to have to join the rest of us in the real world at some time. Gold-plated pensions are a thing of the past.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, I don't.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, my uni is taking action. The email was explaining why they're doing it; which I don't really care about. Plus I am on a master's which doesn't have exams, so the strikes don't really bother me. Not sure about UG or their exams.

Our strikes are in three batches, and only 2 days (Thurs and Fri) at first. I don't suppose the impact will be huge -- more likely lectures will be switched around and stuff like that.
username1221160
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
At worst you may see the odd lecture cancelled or a slight delay in marks being returned to you.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mine are on strike. We have been told via email we will get more information on dates and avoidance soon.
Honestly, I’m not paying £9000 a year for them to go out on strike.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I would mind. I’m paying £80 per lecture (roughly) I’m not settling for a few online notes.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
I would mind. I’m paying £80 per lecture (roughly) I’m not settling for a few online notes.
Is your calculation considering other services you're offered? Such as access to the library, the online library, setting up assessments and marking those assessments. It is quite the falsehood to suggest you're paying £9000 exclusively for lectures.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
Is your calculation considering other services you're offered? Such as access to the library, the online library, setting up assessments and marking those assessments. It is quite the falsehood to suggest you're paying £9000 exclusively for lectures.
That’s why it’s roughly. Its near impossible to calculate the rest. The point still stands however that I’m paying for these lectures.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
That’s why it’s roughly. Its near impossible to calculate the rest. The point still stands however that I’m paying for these lectures.
Scrap that, I pressed the wrong button on my calculator. Its £30 per teaching hour, my bad.
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is true. We're being asked to prepare for strike action.:yep: Trouble is not all lecturers will be striking.
kass0812
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah it's true, a tonne of my lecturers and tutors will be striking
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You might have one if there's a picket line. Rumours are there will be at some unis.
DarthRoar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They're justified. The pension used to be the main benefit of a university job, now they'll be lucky to get as much as an inexperienced graduate.

Their pension scheme that they've been paying into for decades has been unilaterally changed. They'll be lucky to get as much out as they paid in.
Just my opinion
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DarthRoar)

Their pension scheme that they've been paying into for decades has been unilaterally changed. They'll be lucky to get as much out as they paid in.
Really? That's unbelievable. Any link?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
I am afraid civil servants, local authority and education workers are going to have to join the rest of us in the real world at some time. Gold-plated pensions are a thing of the past.
Clearly not a thing of the past, live and kicking.
FreeTheNip
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Holy **** thats alot of schools. Here in Canada all of the colleges in Ontario went on strike a couple months back, it lasted nearly 2 months.
TheMoreILearn...
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes it is true - 15 days of strikes over a four week period.
lucabrasi98
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
That's ridiculous. You should be following their example. Instead you're effectively saying they should be in a bad situation like you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (59)
37.11%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (16)
10.06%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (8)
5.03%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (38)
23.9%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (24)
15.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (14)
8.81%

Watched Threads