Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This year I was put in a flat with a mature student and four international students (I'm 20). Though four of them are very nice, I've obviously had trouble relating to them, and the internationals prefer to go out with others from their home countries, while the mature student understandably doesn't want to go out too much as he's in his late twenties. I've met people from other flats, some of whom are friendly, but I don't see them enough to form proper friendships. This has also impacted friendships on my course, as most people seem to sit with people who live in the same accommodation as them; I only know of one guy on my course who lives in the same block as me, but now he never seems to be in lectures, so I invariably sit on my own. I joined some societies last semester, but after lectures I felt too tired to go to any of the meetings/socials. I have resolved to start attending them this semester, though. The result of all this is that I haven't made any real friendships and therefore I have no one to live with next year. I think I'm just going to go back into uni accommodation, this time trying to make sure that I'm in a flat with non-international people my age.

Any advice? It's making me feel a bit down.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    I was in the same boat as you when I went to university. We didn't get to choose who was in the flat with us - we could have a preference but a lot of us didn't get that. I was in a block with a girl who was never in class or in the flat, two Irish girls and a really quiet girl who didn't want to go out at all. The Irish all go out together and can drink me under the table so that wasn't for me. I liked going out but not all the time and I myself can be quiet difficult to get along with.
    However, why not make a study group on your course? You can get to know folks on your course and in your block. My best friends at uni weren't in halls at all they all were a bus ride away. We did things together in town or on campus and then when my flatmates were in the kitchen i'd go in and have a chat and keep friendly with them, considering we lived together - keep the peace and all that.
    Make friends with people you connect with and who have the same interests as you, they will know people who you can then get to know and expand your friends pool then you could fall share with them the year after?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.