Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Social Work Application process watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I applied for social work degree with UU but unfortunately I didn't score enough in the personal statement process. I plan to reapply next year but was wondering if any1 had any tips on the personal statement.
    personal statement was focusd on the following:

1. Your understanding of the role of the social worker, with particular reference to one group of service users (for example, social work with children, older people, people with disabilities or mental illness or another group of your choice).
    2. Your understanding of what professional social work training involves and what you would expect to learn if you are successful in your application.
    3. One or more example of an experience you have had that has helped you to decide that you want to be a social worker.

Although they might chnage questions next year
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gh84)
    Hi,

I applied for social work degree with UU but unfortunately I didn't score enough in the personal statement process. I plan to reapply next year but was wondering if any1 had any tips on the personal statement.
    personal statement was focusd on the following:

1. Your understanding of the role of the social worker, with particular reference to one group of service users (for example, social work with children, older people, people with disabilities or mental illness or another group of your choice).
    2. Your understanding of what professional social work training involves and what you would expect to learn if you are successful in your application.
    3. One or more example of an experience you have had that has helped you to decide that you want to be a social worker.

Although they might chnage questions next year
    Moved to the personal statement forum. If you wrote about these things you were on the write track but you may not have explained yourself properly or articulated things properly. We have PS resources which can be found below.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Alleycat,Thanks I will have a read through resources below and be better prepared next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've applied to study social work this current September and have got offers to study.

I talked at great length about how my experiences would make me a good social worker, I included examples of when I have empowered and enabled people. I also wrote about the skills I have developed such as team working and communication and again related this back to how those skills would make me a good social worker.

Lots of other examples to use as inspiration but I think it boils down to how you have the qualities to be a good social worker.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.