Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    so I passed my driving test last October and I feel pretty confident with driving now it's just the parking I absolutely dread (by that I mean bay parking in car parks and such). I never learnt to bay park in my lessons so when I passed I had no idea what I was doing. I usually just find a bunch of empty spaces and drive in forwards but I always have to adjust it because I'm over the line or something. I've never tried parking between 2 cars because I'm so bad at judging it and I'm scared I'll hit one! I went out a few times with my mum to practise reverse bay parks but it was still only in empty spaces never between 2 cars. any tips or did anyone else feel like this after they passed?

ReputationRep:
    Obviously parking in a small car is much easier, try parking in bays where there is not many cars but try not to go into the other bays. Then once you feel confident try with cars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucyfloss)
    so I passed my driving test last October and I feel pretty confident with driving now it's just the parking I absolutely dread (by that I mean bay parking in car parks and such). I never learnt to bay park in my lessons so when I passed I had no idea what I was doing. I usually just find a bunch of empty spaces and drive in forwards but I always have to adjust it because I'm over the line or something. I've never tried parking between 2 cars because I'm so bad at judging it and I'm scared I'll hit one! I went out a few times with my mum to practise reverse bay parks but it was still only in empty spaces never between 2 cars. any tips or did anyone else feel like this after they passed?
    Do you have a driveway or something like that?

If you do my (poor) advice would be to place 2 bins (or any object) on the driveway (or car park) and learn to park in between these. It doesn’t matter at first if you hit it.

ReputationRep:
    You have my problem, like you I passed on the old test, so I was never taught how to bay park because my test centre didn't have bays, and instructors will usually decline to practice in stores' parking lots because since you're paying them money for lessons, there's some kind of illegality or treachery from them teaching you there, idk, something like that, the short of it was my instructor said he couldn't do it, with 30 years exp and a high pass rate I saw no reason to debate it.

So you can imagine me bricking it on my first day driving to work, which uses a multi-storey car park. Took me 20 minutes to get into a bay. I'd have probably done it in like 1 if I went forward in but I was always taught where possible, reverse into a bay unless you're using the boot. 3 months on I've only just got reversing into a bay done well. Instead of trying to do a "reverse around the corner" style park, I just pull up near the bay, line the car vertically and then reverse into the spot. The problem is this idea doesn't work nearly as well in car parks where you barely have room to turn out if there's a car in front of you lol. I don't get it, sometimes I'm excellent, other times I'm a wreck. But the line up + straight reverse backwards is the easiest thing ever if you have room to do it.

I should also probably use my wing mirrors more rather than looking out my back window, that'd help a lot with bays. I think you'll gain the confidence over time, I used to only park right at the back away from everyone else and only if I had 2 bays worth of room to manoeuvre, now if there's a spot I really like because it's in a good place, I'll take however long it needs until I've squeezed inside of it.

ReputationRep:
    I have the exact same problem. Having a small car has its perks since you dont have to be too perfect, but I dread the day I drive anything any bigger. I drive forwards into spaces but I could not imagine reversing backwards at an angle into one. Parking sensors might help.

ReputationRep:
    Have you watched the World Driving videos on YouTube? This may help. There's also videos on bay parking between two cars and also a forward bay park for the new test.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a supermarket car park after closing hours so it is empty and practice

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.