Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys I am retaking my maths as a private candidate and all I want is the equivalent of a C so a 4/5. Should I go for the higher or lower? Any advice or what you plan on doing is appreciated! Probably AQA exam board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xenya)
    Hi guys I am retaking my maths as a private candidate and all I want is the equivalent of a C so a 4/5. Should I go for the higher or lower? Any advice or what you plan on doing is appreciated! Probably AQA exam board
    When do you hope to write the exam? I'm just checking because I think you should have already submitted your exam entry by now if you write this summer?

I retook maths last year as a mature student. The college where I took the course only offered a foundation level so a C was the maximum possible. I got the C and that's all I need for my further education so it's all good. However, I do quietly regret not being able to write a higher paper because I know I would have achieved more than a C, and it would have been interesting to know what that would have been. The English paper, also foundation, worked slightly differently and I got a B overall even although C was meant to be the highest grade. I got A's and A*'s in all my controlled assessments and I got a very high mark in my exam so it bumped me up to a B. This year I'm writing a science subject as an external candidate and teaching myself because this allows me to write a paper that offers potential of grades up to A*, the local college again was only offering a foundation exam.

If you only need a C and are happy with that then take foundation. If you want to stretch yourself and feel confident that you can achieve higher than C, then go for it, but realise that you do risk getting a mark lower than C if you struggle with the content. Maybe write a few of the past papers for the higher tier and see how you score?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilingWombat)
    When do you hope to write the exam? I'm just checking because I think you should have already submitted your exam entry by now if you write this summer?

I retook maths last year as a mature
    student. The college where I took the course only offered a foundation level so a C was the maximum possible. I got the C and that's all I need for my further education so it's all good. However, I do quietly regret not being able to write a higher paper because I know I would have achieved more than a C, and it would have been interesting to know what that would have been. The English paper, also foundation, worked slightly differently and I got a B overall even although C was meant to be the highest grade. I got A's and A*'s in all my controlled assessments and I got a very high mark in my exam so it bumped me up to a B. This year I'm writing a science subject as an external candidate and teaching myself because this allows me to write a paper that offers potential of grades up to A*, the local college again was only offering a foundation exam.

If you only need a C and are happy with that then take foundation. If you want to stretch yourself and feel confident that you can achieve higher than C, then go for it, but realise that you do risk getting a mark lower than C if you struggle with the content. Maybe write a few of the past papers for the higher tier and see how you score?
    Thanks your reply! My only problem is that C is the highest you can get on foundation whereas with higher you have a better chance of a C so I don’t known..

ReputationRep:
    Although you need fewer marks for the higher paper to get a C grade, the questions are far more complex than that of a foundation paper. The hardest questions on a foundation paper (the last couple of questions in the paper) are the easiest in the higher papers.

If you are only looking for a C grade, you should probably stick with the foundation paper.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.