Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Writing a story, need to know more about the biology student experience. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Also look up dog head attached surgically to another dogs body

Scientists successfully did this without killing it and most recently are planning to operate via humans

Just general science experiments and research done that might influence the book a little there is a lot of work done under the lines of keeping a dying individual alive and body swap experiments
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Sorry hogging up all the space I’ll stop now but looking forward to hearing about this book in later years to come

(Original post by Bluebrandy)
    This is good and I'm glad you bring it up, you misunderstand my position though. I'm not saying that there is no point to anything. Just that we all must seek internally for meaning.

I don't understand about this open-mindedness point you're making. I understand about social-change and reflecting on our beliefs. What's the relevance here exactly?
    I know your position; I'm not misunderstanding it, just drawing attention to the impression you were giving. Of course if you were of a completely nihilistic disposition you would have likely... shall we say, become one with it, already: that's the point I was making.

Open-mindedness to there being a point in existence. To the possibility of a revelation - by whatever means, of whatever nature - of some inherent meaning of which you weren't familiar before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Ain't this just simplified Camus?
    Probably.

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    Ain't this just simplified Camus?
    I was probably subconsciously on someone like Sartre or something, I forget. I've read and thought and discussed and can't remember who said what any more; all I can remeber is that something was said and it felt important to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    Sorry hogging up all the space I’ll stop now but looking forward to hearing about this book in later years to come
    I don't mind, you've posted some interesting things actually. If you'd like to have a discussion sometime I'm sure I'd get more interesting ideas out of you. PM me if you're up for it.

I don't know about whether you'll be hearing about this particular project in years to come it's a ten-week thing for college. It is my most ambitious project yet though so it's important for me to get it right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    In your work you should look up African zombie it’s a real concoction that makes an individual go into a deep death like sleep the reanimate as a brain dead zombie like figure also read Frankenstein of if you haven’t already and I mean the original of course these soughts of dualities will add a more in depth feel to the book and give a more true moral outlook on the matter

Are you perhaps gonna add occult stuff to it too and add a paranoia or is it going to be an outlook on a more government initiative type work or personal experiment
    I've got Frankenstein on my reading list actually, a good suggestion. I wasn't thinking so much about adding occult stuff, I wanted to ground it in science and philosophy really. I did think a bit about the afterlife, especially between dying and being reanimated. It'd be a personal experiment, not sure what you mean about paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    Well often with resurrection and other mysteries there’s a figurehead group that hold secrets regarding the taboos say people worshipping cuthulu or a secret organisation and often the person is either in with them or an outsider if a personal experiment he’d be an outsider walking into a strange and wondrous world of mystery and naturally there’d be people wishing to impede his progress and or keep it secret

But it’s more me asking if you want that sorta vibe of mystery and discovery or whether you’re interested in a different approach

ReputationRep:
    Say the spear of truth a device has himself searched for as it is a weapon that when in your hands you are unstoppable and will win every battle (this is a legit thing there are non photoshopped pictures to prove its existence) this disappeared and not long after hitler died

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    I know your position; I'm not misunderstanding it, just drawing attention to the impression you were giving. Of course if you were of a completely nihilistic disposition you would have likely... shall we say, become one with it, already: that's the point I was making.

Open-mindedness to there being a point in existence. To the possibility of a revelation - by whatever means, of whatever nature - of some inherent meaning of which you weren't familiar before.
    I see. I suppose I'm using nihilism as a metonym for a lack of objective meaning, perhaps absurdism is - as I have just learned - closer to what I'm trying to argue.

As for there being inherent meaning, I'd say that technically I am agnostic but practically and provisionally should be classed as an athiest. This is something I do whole-heartedly agree with Lovecraft on, I don't think that we should make considerations with regards to the far-off possibility that there is any such thing as a God or other supernatural power that dictates meaning outside that which we give ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    Weird occult sect like stuff in history

The history I was never taught in school the spear was said to be the spear used on Jesus Christ but in the occult things have meaning when you give them meaning sorta like inscribing power a lot of occult magic is if anything based on heretical stuff such as distorted meaning like the depiction of beezlebub originated when the church disrupted the Templar order and claimed them as Muslims and Satan worshipers and placed goats heads amongst their belongings making them apear to have a shrine to some ****ed deity but know it’s some kind of set fact

So the spear of truth could verry well have nothing to do with Christ

ReputationRep:
    Personally I believe in a god but I’m not a fundamentalist

I believe that our world is that intricate that it would be impossible or at the very least implausible that it would just poof into existence I understand a lot of science and it baffles me that through a random explosion this came into existence

Even with all the logic I feel this is way too logical and amazing to just poof and be physics chemistry geology geometry sure their human terms ‘

but these things existed before we existed how ? Seriously science suggests our universe is flat no not flat earth but the dimensions there is so much mad science now but how did this world and I mean everything the terms and conditions of atoms and theory come into existence everything comes from something in my head

Even spontaneous combustion and or existence does not explain this intricate plane of existence it’s like a computer it’s terms are so set and interchangeable to believe it just existed baffles me

ReputationRep:
    But I’m not concerned with heaven or other planes of existence as much as living and making this plane a better place

ReputationRep:
    And as for a god he does not judge my actions I do for only a mortal can comprehend existence and life whereas only a god can comprehend its creation he cannot judge a life he or she has not lived persay

ReputationRep:
    Hell to me would be a perpetual existence as consciousness constantly reliving traumatic mistakes and never being able to repent and accept oneself perhaps the moment when you leave earth and you’re life flashes it gets stuck in repeat like a broken record yeah that’s hell to me

And heaven hmm life’s heaven I suppose I was never into limitless existence rather the fleeting ness of life has its own charm

I suppose it’d be to go once over all the good I’ve done and pass on to blissful nothingness regret free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lejax)
    Hell to me would be a perpetual existence as consciousness constantly reliving traumatic mistakes and never being able to repent and accept oneself perhaps the moment when you leave earth and you’re life flashes it gets stuck in repeat like a broken record yeah that’s hell to me

And heaven hmm life’s heaven I suppose I was never into limitless existence rather the fleeting ness of life has its own charm

I suppose it’d be to go once over all the good I’ve done and pass on to blissful nothingness regret free
    I would tend to agree that mortality is not such a bad thing, though I would like to leave a legacy behind when I'm gone. I suppose that is absurd given that I'll be dead but still I'll try. Gonna need to go to sleep now I'm afraid, so if you don't hear more from me that's why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebrandy)
    I would tend to agree that mortality is not such a bad thing, though I would like to leave a legacy behind when I'm gone. I suppose that is absurd given that I'll be dead but still I'll try. Gonna need to go to sleep now I'm afraid, so if you don't hear more from me that's why.

I agree leaving behind something that benefits the world and shows you where there is a nice idea

I suppose that's why people have kids whether consciously aware or not but feel that some people just are not meant to make that mark

but so long as people remember me for who I was it doesn't matter in the end their a living monument they will live on and tell stories of you talk of the goods and bads till you become a great story wrote In the hearts and memories of others

Good night

(Original post by Lejax)
    Weird occult sect like stuff in history

The history I was never taught in school the spear was said to be the spear used on Jesus Christ but in the occult things have meaning when you give them meaning sorta like inscribing power a lot of occult magic is if anything based on heretical stuff such as distorted meaning like the depiction of beezlebub originated when the church disrupted the Templar order and claimed them as Muslims and Satan worshipers and placed goats heads amongst their belongings making them apear to have a shrine to some ****ed deity but know it’s some kind of set fact

So the spear of truth could verry well have nothing to do with Christ
    How is this pertinent to the thread?

Also work on your writing, what you've vomited up here is almost unreadable.

Also "Beelzebub" is OT stuff, the word is Hebrew for "Lord of the Flies".

Also it's "Spear of Destiny", "Spear of Longinus", or "Holy Lance".

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Tootles;76001604]How is this pertinent to the thread?

Also work on your writing, what you've vomited up here is almost unreadable.

Also "Beelzebub" is OT stuff, the word is Hebrew for "Lord of the Flies".

Also it's "Spear of Destiny", "Spear of Longinus", or "Holy Lance".[/QUOTE

Yes beezlebub was part of the testament but the severred head of a goat at altars

the goat headed several arm human body depiction didn't come with the OT as you say this was something made purely to serve as a divide between the Templar's and the church you can always look it up and and prove me wrong if you wish

Also this what I'm speaking about regarding the Templar order was relatively old just after the days of Constantine I believe though don't quote me on this though

And yes your right I'm happy to see you know/heard of it the spear that is

The last question what it has to do with the thread it serves as an example of weird sect occult and the spear of truth or holy lance whatever is linked with Christ and naturally both death and resurrection his blood is even said to have seeped into it

So as for relevance its not scientific it just links to the first resurrection I know of to be documented and so it is in some way at the very least something worth researching

ReputationRep:
    I'm goanna be honest here though this is just a load of random things I thought of that could be interesting in regards to the book

all the scientific research and documentaries/videos I mentioned that he should look up and such where just what came to mind the sect and occult topics because often when we cover taboo science it's linked alongside the occult and sect groups and this as I said earlier adds a edgy and eerie mysterious feel to books

Naturally I didn't put much time into how I typed it up as I just didn't see the point if grammar Nazis where inclined to comment they can kiss my fuhdairy air

The reason I responded though was you clearly knew about some of what I mentioned and so naturally its always good to receive comments or responses from someone who understands what you wrote

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.