Turn on thread page Beta

Fitting Into Uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so I've applied for some of the top unis in the country: LSE, King's, UCL, UoB and then UCB lol

So now that my offers are coming in and I'm sending off information to the first three unis, something popped into my mind.

I'm black, female, common as muck and my interests are very popular with working class people (grime music, etc.)

Asking current students "How many commoners/black people/Brummies go here?" is a bit too blunt lol.

I just want to know exactly what sort of atmosphere the campuses will have. It's fair enough that I go to one of the top universities in the country, but if my social life is completely sh*te, then I might as well stick to UoB which is still a very good uni.

By the way, I can get along with pretty much anyone but if say King's has a bigger working class population than UCL and so the societies are more the sort I'd want to get involved in, then it would influence my choice a fair amount.

I read a horror story by one working class girl who's dorm mates all had money and kept going out to places she couldn't afford to and she got isolated and it made me think about how uni's a waste without a social life and that you might as well just sign up for Open University if you was in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    I attend a Russel group university and understand your worry. It is amazing the proportion of my course that have came from a privately educated background. There will always be some people that share your interests. It took me almost a year to find friends similar to me but, I wasn't hands on with societies. I would say do not let this influence your choice too much because you will come across similar issues at any of these universities. However, expect to need to dive into a few societies to find people who share your interests. Also, if you end up unhappy in halls universities usually have opportunities to change flats/accommodation after the first weeks of term when people drop out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoenix789)
    I attend a Russel group university and understand your worry. It is amazing the proportion of my course that have came from a privately educated background. There will always be some people that share your interests. It took me almost a year to find friends similar to me but, I wasn't hands on with societies. I would say do not let this influence your choice too much because you will come across similar issues at any of these universities. However, expect to need to dive into a few societies to find people who share your interests. Also, if you end up unhappy in halls universities usually have opportunities to change flats/accommodation after the first weeks of term when people drop out.
    Hadn't heard of the term 'Russel Group' until now. That's 4/5 of my unis lol. I've been to UoB and think it looks posher than the people that go there, but the other three, I'm still a bit wary of showing up there and the only sports team that has people there are the Archery team lol

A year? I mean, societies were the first thing on my mind when I decided I'd apply to these places but a year still sounds like a long time when first year is meant to be your most social. Did you get along with people at your housing?

ReputationRep:
    You can look at what societies a university has usually on their union website. Another thing I would say is do you research on the halls you choose, at my university certain halls do have labels of 'party', 'posh', 'medics' not that the labels are always true but, it could help. I did have friends during first year and I went out quite a lot with different people from around my accommodation but It took me a while to find friends that really relate to me and I am super comfortable with.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.