Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am due to start at your university in sept 2018 and was just wondering when I should know where my placement locality is? I will be studying nursing at your Reading campus.

Thanks,
    Futurechildnurse
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi - sorry you haven't had a response to this yet. I'm just going to bump the thread in the hope that someone sees this and can help

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, Reading-based 2nd year adult student nurse here. I wish I'd seen this sooner so you wouldn't have to wait so long for a response! Depending on preference, students were given a choice between west and east Berkshire in the first year. Those who chose the east side are students who predominantly live towards London and counties like Surrey and the north of Hampshire. Placements can vary of course but from what I have heard, hospitals such as Frimley Park, Wexham Park, and Heather wood take on a lot of students as well as other smaller sites (GP surgeries, community nursing in and around the area etc). I chose the west side of Berks as I was living in Reading centre at the time and this is mostly where west students are allocated placements. I have had placements at Royal Berks, a care home in Reading and Wokingham Community hospital. West Berks hospital also takes students from the west side and placements may be allocated in Newbury as well. With regards to child nursing, I believe they split students between east and west too, and the placements can pretty much be anywhere within either area. So you might find it easier or more difficult getting to placements depending on if you can drive or not. Sorry I don't have much more information on specific placements but it really is based on luck with what you're given! Hope this helps slightly and good luck with everything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambi Dam)
    Hi there, Reading-based 2nd year adult student nurse here. I wish I'd seen this sooner so you wouldn't have to wait so long for a response! Depending on preference, students were given a choice between west and east Berkshire in the first year. Those who chose the east side are students who predominantly live towards London and counties like Surrey and the north of Hampshire. Placements can vary of course but from what I have heard, hospitals such as Frimley Park, Wexham Park, and Heather wood take on a lot of students as well as other smaller sites (GP surgeries, community nursing in and around the area etc). I chose the west side of Berks as I was living in Reading centre at the time and this is mostly where west students are allocated placements. I have had placements at Royal Berks, a care home in Reading and Wokingham Community hospital. West Berks hospital also takes students from the west side and placements may be allocated in Newbury as well. With regards to child nursing, I believe they split students between east and west too, and the placements can pretty much be anywhere within either area. So you might find it easier or more difficult getting to placements depending on if you can drive or not. Sorry I don't have much more information on specific placements but it really is based on luck with what you're given! Hope this helps slightly and good luck with everything
    Thank you for getting in touch. Unfortunately,I don’t drive so would prefer to be based in the Reading area.

Do you enjoy the course and find the lectures help you?

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday, I had an interview for adults nursing in Reading West London University. I really need a place to survive. Ohh, I hope I will get an offer and be able to arrange my accommodation. Otherwise, it will be very late.

I am not very good at interviews, but Ramona was very good and explained to us very well how the UCAS offers works. I really didn't have any idea before. I learn every day and it is a very good experience.

This is the only uni I have seen nursing in a different place. You get all the attention and support you need. This gives you a very good opportunity to meet lecturers and communicate with them easily. Otherwise, you have to run around all over, this building, that building, Sometimes you don't know where your tutor is. That's normally what happens in my college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krishni)
    Yesterday, I had an interview for adults nursing in Reading West London University. I really need a place to survive. Ohh, I hope I will get an offer and be able to arrange my accommodation. Otherwise, it will be very late.

I am not very good at interviews, but Ramona was very good and explained to us very well how the UCAS offers works. I really didn't have any idea before. I learn every day and it is a very good experience.

This is the only uni I have seen nursing in a different place. You get all the attention and support you need. This gives you a very good opportunity to meet lecturers and communicate with them easily. Otherwise, you have to run around all over, this building, that building, Sometimes you don't know where your tutor is. That's normally what happens in my college.
    Hello,

I hope your interview went well and you receive an offer.

When should you hear back from them? If you are successful then I know of an organisation that rents out rooms to students in reading at a very reasonable price.

I must say,I was really impressed with how they explained everything and interviewed me when I had my interview back in November.

X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futurechildnurse)
    Hello,

I hope your interview went well and you receive an offer.

When should you hear back from them? If you are successful then I know of an organisation that rents out rooms to students in reading at a very reasonable price.

I must say,I was really impressed with how they explained everything and interviewed me when I had my interview back in November.

X
    Yes, that's true. I am quite impressed. I can't wait to see the results of my interview. I am glad I met you here. You are very helpful. Once I receive an offer I will let you know. Reading is very close to me compared to other universities. I desperately need an offer from them. Thanks again. Good night!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome!

I hope you dont have too long to wait. Good night!

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome!

I hope you don't have too long to wait. Good night!
    Ramona said to us within one week they will reply to us. Today, on Thursday, They transfer the files to update the results from Reading to somewhere else via internal post. Then by next week, we will hear from them. I am so excited and also a bit worried. The students have already got offers, they can relax, I don't have much time left, really worried.

ReputationRep:
    Ramona said to us within one week they will reply to us. Today, on Thursday, They transfer the files to update the results from Reading to somewhere else via internal post. Then by next week, we will hear from them. I am so excited and also a bit worried. The students have already got offers, they can relax, I don't have much time left, really worried.
    As long as you impressed them then it doesn’t matter. Did they say they have a lot of places left on the course or not? You’ve done all you can do now.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you impressed them then it doesn’t matter. Did they say they have a lot of places left on the course or not? You’ve done all you can do now.
    As I remember They have eleven places left for adult nursing. When students confirm their offers as firm, it will be reduced to fewer places. They have got a few vacancies for disability nursing.

ReputationRep:
    As I remember They have eleven places left. When students confirm their offers as firm, it will be reduced to fewer places.
    Is that just for adult nursing or child,learning disability and mental health?

ReputationRep:
    Is that just for adult nursing or child,learning disability and mental health?
    They don't have vacancies for mental health, they are interviewing students for next year.

ReputationRep:
    They don't have vacancies for mental health, they are interviewing students for next year.
    Ah right,so is that for adult,child and learning disabilities then?

ReputationRep:
    Ah right,so is that for adult,child and learning disabilities then?
    They have eleven places left for adult nursing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember how many places they have got for others, but she (Ramona) told us. I don't remember. I don't have anything in my mind other than adult nursing.

ReputationRep:
    I don't remember how many places they have got for others, but she (Ramona) told us. I don't remember. In my head, I don't have anything other than adult nursing.
    Ah ok,adult nursing has the most places anyway

ReputationRep:
    I think more job opportunities and generally, it's not only for one specific group. That's why more places and more students are available for adults nursing. For me, I have been working as an HCA since 2003. More than 15 years. I don't have any idea to study anything else other than adult nursing.

ReputationRep:
    I think more job opportunities and generally, it's not only for one specific group. That's why more places and more students are available for adults nursing. For me, I have been working since 2003. more than 15 years. I don't have any idea to study anything else other than adult nursing.
    Hope you get your place then. How many applicants were there on the day?

ReputationRep:
    Hope you get your place then. How many applicants were there on the day?

Not many, I think we were the last group for 2018. Two for mental health, one for midwifery, one for child nursing, three for PG Dip, another less than ten for adults nursing.

I desperately need an offer for this year. Anyway, I will let you know my results.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.