Turn on thread page Beta
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by thatsmarn)
    Good morning! What would happen if I applied for student finance on the basis of having been offered a conditional place at a university, but then I didn't meet the conditions to get that place? Would I have to contact anybody to cancel my application or would I only get the loan on the basis that I *was* accepted onto a course?
    Good Morning,

You can submit an application with the course details of your conditional offer. If you need to make any changes or wish to cancel your application this can be updated on your online account or change of circumstance form.

Regards
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NigelP)
    Hi
    Why are maintenance loans are means tested. It seems to punish the squeezed middle ? Surely students are adults and can borrow what they need. Accommodation costs being a massive issue.
    Is there any dispensation/increased finance option if you are sending twins to uni at the same time ?
    Good Morning,

In answer to your question concerning means testing.

I can confirm that for students under the age of 25 we would normally need to use the income of their parent/parents for a household income assessment to be completed.

However there is the opportunity for the student to apply for independent status if one of the following is applicable.

• are 25 or over before the start of the academic year
    • are under 25 and married/divorced before the start of the academic year
    • have care of a child on the first day of the academic year
    • are married or in a civil partnership before the start of the academic year
    • have no living parents
    • are irreconcilably estranged from their parents
    • have been the subject of a care order
    • cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

A student can also be considered independent if they supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study. The three years can include periods when they were:
    • In paid full-time employment
    • In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    • In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    • Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

With regards to your question in connection to having twins. I can confirm that a disregard against household income is taken into account in connection to dependent children.

Kind regards

Sue

ReputationRep:
    So student finance goes to the student's bank account and not their chosen university automatically? Can it be arranged for the finance goes to the university automatically?

When is the deadline for applying for student finance?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

i was born in the uk and moved to an eu country due to my parents work.
    Am i entitled to a maintenance loan?

Thank you
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by southpacific)
    Are non-EU students eligible?
    Good morning,

For eligibility criteria for undergraduate study, please check https://www.gov.uk/student-finance

Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo Storey)
    Hello,

To be eligible for funding with a settled status you would be required to show 3 years residency in the UK. This is based on current guidelines for 18/19, as your course is due to start September 2019 this would fall under 19/20. If there is any changes to policy this will be updated on the GOV.UK website.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies

Regards
    Does this stand even if I am a UK Citizen?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by x.jessie.x)
    I have not lived with my parents for 5 years. I am a mature student. How will my maintenance loan be calculated? Will it take into consideration mine and my partners wages for the last year? I will not be earning at all if I get into university. He will be supporting both of us on his wage.
    Good morning,

In answer to your question, if you over the age of 25 years old we will not use your parents income in connection with your assessment.

We will take into account your partners income if you wish to have a household income assessment.

For applications made in the 18/19 academic year we will be using the income of your partner from the 16/17 tax year.

I hope this answers your questions.

Kind regards

Sue
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by purple1106)
    So student finance goes to the student's bank account and not their chosen university automatically? Can it be arranged for the finance goes to the university automatically?

When is the deadline for applying for student finance?
    Good morning,

In answer to your question, if you are applying for undergraduate Student Finance England funding and are agreed for both Maintenance Support and Tuition Fees. The Maintenance Support will be paid into your bank account and the Tuition Fees will be paid directly to the University.

The guidance date for new students to apply for undergraduate applications for the 18/19 academic year is 25th May 2018. However students have up to 9 months from the start of the academic year to make an application.

Kind regards

Sue
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Workgrind247)
    How do maintenance loans work for medical students within and out of london? It seems like it gets reduced in year 4, why?
    Good morning,

Rate of maintenance loan can change if studying within or out of London for amounts please check https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator

You’ll get full funding from us for the first four years of your course. From your fifth year, you’ll be able to get a reduced rate Maintenance Loan from us and a bursary from the NHS.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    Hi I moved to the uk 3 years ago (this April) and I wondering if can get student finance at all ? Also the fees for overseas/international students vary so would it be dependant on which university I choose or my visa status ? Or both. I have been fee assessed but multiple university’s and I’m still on limited leave and my visa says I have no resource to public funds but is that just benefits. Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Hello Sue, I was a student at Bangor University in 2013, however, I left before the end of the first Semester. When I start a full-time course this September at a different University, will this affect how much I am entitled to?

ReputationRep:
    I’ve lived in the uk for almost 3 years (in April) I’ve applied to attend uni in this September. But how do I figure out if I’m eligible for a student loan. Also I have been fee assessed and I’m classed as ‘limited leave’ so I have to pay overseas/ international fees which vary depending on the uni I choose. So if I am able to get funding there’s a maximum amount right ?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Tolkien too much)
    Hi,

i was born in the uk and moved to an eu country due to my parents work.
    Am i entitled to a maintenance loan?

Thank you
    Hello,

As a UK national we can accept 3 years residency in the UK/EU to be eligible for maintenance loan.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple1106)
    Am I eligible for more student finance than normal if I have a disability? If so, what conditions constitute a disability?
    Good morning, In connection to your question. I can confirm that if you are in receipt of certain benefits which are listed on the application process you may receive a higher rate maintenance loan. I can confirm that if you have a long term disability there is the potential that you can apply for Disabled Student Allowance support. Details are available on https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/stu...nts-allowances I hope this answers your questions.

Kind Regards Sue

ReputationRep:
    Good morning Madam

I have one an question and I hope help me with that
    I have completed degree aboard Bachelor and I got just my transcript evidence I have completed my four years at university, however, I coud not get last certificate evidenvce of successful course due to the war at my country. My inquiry is if would be eligible to get fainace student because I have resident as refugee in the UK, and I have applied for course in2018. I have submitted my transcript during my UCAS because I had to because based on my transcript they have given me an conditional offer, I hope you have understood me and advise me thank you for you assistance

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to everyone who got involved. There's plenty more going on the rest of this week so please visit our calendar and get your questions in.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.