Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance for EU students by SLC watch

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by suga(r))
    Hi there, hungarian student here~ I could barely find any scholarships for EU students offered by the unis I applied to (scottish ones) and my question is that where should I search for non-uni specific scholarships? Are there scholarships for those coming from low income homes? Thank you for the answer c:
    I'm sorry, we would be unable to comment on the scholarships that each university offers, or other scholarships that may be available. This might be something you wish to discuss with each university.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Reea03)
    Hello. I am from Romania and I applied for different universities across UK. As I have received my offers from all of them, when can I start applying for a student loan and what types of student loans are available? What do I need in order to be eligible for one?
    Thank you!

Whether you qualify for student finance depends on:
    your university or college
    your course
    if you’ve studied a higher education course before
    your age
    your nationality or residency status

EU students studying in England, Wales and Northern Ireland who do not have the relevant years residency within the United Kingdom will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, to apply they must:

Be an EU National or be Naturalised as an EU National
    Be a family member of an EU National, a family member is defined as the spouse, civil partner, parent, step-parent, adoptive parent, child, step-child, grandparent
    Be the spouse or civil partner of a UK National Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course (EEA Family Members must have held a valid residential status for any periods of residency in the UK)
    Be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first term of their course
    Be attending a course which attracts funding

Some EU students may be entitled to 'Home Student' funding if they:
    Are an EU National
    Have lived in the United Kingdom for five or more years prior to the start of their course
    Will be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first academic year of their course

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by elo234fg)
    Hello everyone. I'm from Belgium and I applied to a university in England and two in Scotland. I haven't received their answers to my offers yet, but where can I start searching for student loans, what type of loans are available and for which am I eligible? Thank you!!
    your course
    your age

EU students studying in England, Wales and Northern Ireland who do not have the relevant years residency within the United Kingdom will be eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan only, to apply they must:

Be an EU National or be Naturalised as an EU National
    Be a family member of an EU National, a family member is defined as the spouse, civil partner, parent, step-parent, adoptive parent, child, step-child, grandparent
    Be the spouse or civil partner of a UK National Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course (EEA Family Members must have held a valid residential status for any periods of residency in the UK)
    Be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first term of their course

Are an EU National
    Have lived in the United Kingdom for five or more years prior to the start of their course
    Will be living in the United Kingdom on the first day of the first academic year of their course

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Abbas khoja)
    Additionally, I am applying for 2018 entry, and have been accepted by a London University.

your course
    your age

Be an EU National or be naturalised as an EU National
    Be the spouse or civil partner of a UK National
    Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course (EEA Family Members must have held a valid residential status for any periods of residency in the UK)

Are an EU National

•  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Ilaria95)
    Hello!
    I've got an offer of admission for an Mphil in Education At Cambridge University, and I applied before the funding deadline in December.
    I have double citizenship, both UK and EU. What should I do while I wait for fundings to contact me back? Can I submit some more applications? and who to?
    Thank you !!
    For information specific to an application, I would advise that you call our Customer Support Centre on 0300 100 0607.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by bananyan)
    Hi, I'm a EU citizen (Croatian) with an undergraduate degree from a Scottish university and I have an offer from Cambridge. As far as I'm aware, I can apply for the SLC as I've been resident in EU since I was born. However, that loan would only cover my tuition fees. Is there any other additional help, be it loans or scholarships (besides the ones offered by the university), that I could apply for that would help with living expenses?

Also, how much before the start of the course is ideal to apply for the loan? Mine starts in October 2018.

your course
    your age

Have lived in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course (EEA Family Members must have held a valid residential status for any periods of residency in the UK)

Some EU students may be entitled to 'Home Student' funding if they: Are an EU National Have lived in the United Kingdom for five or more years prior to the start of their course

The application process is now open. All EU students, with the exception of those studying in Scotland, should send completed Full Time and Part Time applications including any written correspondence and evidence to:

Student Finance Services European Team
    Student Loans Company
    PO Box 89
    Darlington
    County Durham
    England
    DL1 9AZ

EU Full Time and Part Time applications are available to print from www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig Robertson)
    your course
    your age

Are an EU National

Are republic of ireland students whom have resided in england for more than 3 years, classed as home students?? Follow up question, if yes then do they apply with the PN1 form or some other specific EU national living in the uk form?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Abbas khoja)
    Are republic of ireland students whom have resided in england for more than 3 years, classed as home students?? Follow up question, if yes then do they apply with the PN1 form or some other specific EU national living in the uk form?
    Republic of Ireland (ROI) nationals can apply as Home Students. They must be ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of the course and be ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course.

From the information you have provided, you would apply as a home student, on a new student application form.

The application process is now open.
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Thank you everyone for your questions - that's the end of the chat. And thanks to Emma and Craig for their help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm an EU student from Italy. I would have been living in the uk for 3 years at the start of my course. I'm also a child of a migrant worker (my mother). I would appreciate it if you could lead me on how to apply for tuition fees and maintenance loan as a child of a migrant worker.

Many thanks,
    Houssame

ReputationRep:
    I am an EU national (been living in Spain for the last 2 years, plus about 10 years before that --the rest of the time I was in America--). If I study at Scotland (undergrad), I know I can get tuition fee help. But what about living expenses?

ReputationRep:
    HelloI am an EU student and I would've been in the UK for over 10 years by the time my course starts in September 2018. I want to know if I qualify for tuition fees and when applying for it could I go through the online route ?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an EU citizen and I have an offer to study an undergraduate degree this next year. By then, I would have studied 2 years (out of 4) of a university degree in Spain. Would I still be eligible for the student loan?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by houssame1)
    Hi,

I'm an EU student from Italy. I would have been living in the uk for 3 years at the start of my course. I'm also a child of a migrant worker (my mother). I would appreciate it if you could lead me on how to apply for tuition fees and maintenance loan as a child of a migrant worker.

Many thanks,
    Houssame
    Hi Houssame

If you are the child of a migrant worker you would apply online at www.gov.uk/studentfinance

We'll then ask you for the necessary evidence.

Thanks

Michael
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by houssame1)
    Hi,

Many thanks,
    Houssame
    Hi Houssame

If you are the child of a migrant worker you would apply online at www.gov.uk/studentfinance

We'll then ask you for the necessary evidence.

Thanks

Michael
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Carlos_)
    I am an EU national (been living in Spain for the last 2 years, plus about 10 years before that --the rest of the time I was in America--). If I study at Scotland (undergrad), I know I can get tuition fee help. But what about living expenses?
    Hi Carlos

We aren't able to give any advice on any funding you might be able to get from Student Awards Agency Scotland.

We'd suggest having a look on their website www.saas.gov.uk to see if you can find out more.

Thanks

Michael
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Francosi)
    HelloI am an EU student and I would've been in the UK for over 10 years by the time my course starts in September 2018. I want to know if I qualify for tuition fees and when applying for it could I go through the online route ?
    Hi Francosi

EU students can usually get funding for tuition fees no matter how long they've lived in the UK. Because you've lived in the UK for more than 5 years, you should also be able to get help with your living costs. This also means you can apply online at www.gov.uk instead of on paper.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Florgroga)
    Hi, I'm an EU citizen and I have an offer to study an undergraduate degree this next year. By then, I would have studied 2 years (out of 4) of a university degree in Spain. Would I still be eligible for the student loan?
    Hi Florgora

We usually use this calculation to work out how much student finance you can get:

Length of new course + 1 year, minus any years of previous study (even if it was outside of the UK).

In your case (assuming your new course is 3 years), this would be:

3 + 1 - 2 = 2 years of student finance support

This means it doesn't look like you'd get funding for the first year of your new course.

However, there are exceptions to this rule, such as if you're studying nursing, medicine etc. You can find out more here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/stu...ts-eligibility

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I am an Eu citizen living in the uk since 2014 I am applying for the student loan and I was asked to provide evidence of how I supported myself for the last 3 years. I have found the evidence fact sheet but I'm still not sure what I should provide other than my passport. p60? payslips? I wish the pdf was more clearer.

Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I really need help with my student finance application process, as I am worried about the possibility of not receiving any kind of financial help.

I am an EU National from Spain, and I am right know with the application proccess for student finance (tuition fee loan for a BA (Hons) 3D Games Art & Design in Hertfordshire University). I would like to know whether I would be elegible for student finance having a Spanish Ciclo Formativo de Grado Superior qualification, which I think it is similar to a UK HND. If so, what would be the amount I would receive?

Secondly, I would like to know what evidence I should provide in terms of household income. I am currently living with my parents but I have managed to work in a part-time job during the past 2 years in order to earn some money for paying more or less my living costs in UK. What kind of financial document I should send along with my application?

I would greatly appreciate it if you kindly give me some feedback on this.

Regards,
    Maria.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.