Turn on thread page Beta

Extra help for students with children and adult dependants by SLC watch

    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep
    (Original post by henrieka)
    I am a mature student starting in the univetsity in September 2018, I am a single mother with two young children 2 and 7 years old. One in the nursery and the other in school but will go to after school club. I am now part time working 17 hrs a week but will go bank working 16 hours or less in September. I would like to know what help I will be entitled to when starting Uni in September.
    Hi Henrieka

    Thanks for your post.

    As a lone parent with dependent children, studying a full time undergraduate course, you may be eligible to the following support:

    * Tuition Fees - paid directly to your Uni
    * Maintenance Loan (paid in three instalments during your academic year)
    * Parents Learning Allowance of up to £1669 (paid in three instalments during your academic year)
    * Childcare Grant (paid in three instalments during your academic year)

    Things to remember:
    * Any childcare providers used must be registered with an approved body such as OFSTED)

    * Students cannot claim the Childcare Element of Working Tax Credits from HMRC AND the Childcare Grant from Student Finance.

    * Student Finance England will provide up to 85% of childcare costs whereas HM Revenue and Customs will provide up to 70%.

    Why not take a look at our short film for students with children and adult dependants? Here's the link:


    Hope this helps

    •  Official Rep

     Official Rep
    (Original post by rachaelrabbit)
    Hi Emma. I'm a mature student on an Access course. I have a conditional offer to start a full time undergraduate course in Sept 2018, in Speech and Language Therapy. I have a one year old and my husband works full time (35k p/a) I have a childminder all set up who will be looking after my son for three days per week in September.

    Do I sound as if I will be eligible for a childcare grant? Do I apply for this at the same time as I apply for my tuition fee and maintenance loan? Can you get both the parents learning allowance and the childcare grant or just one? Also, I have read that if you are doing a healthcare course you can get a £1000 grant for childcare costs. Is this as well as the childcare grant or instead of?

    Thanks, Rachael

    Hello Rachael

    Thanks for your post. Apologies I wasn't able to respond last night.

    Based on the information given, you maybe eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee loan, Maintenance Loan and additional supplementary grants (Parents Learning Allowance, Adult Dependants Grant and Childcare Grant)

    All applications are assessed on an individual basis. Based on your household income of 35k p/a, you may be "overscale" for the Parents Learning Allowance, Adult Dependants Grant and Childcare Grant.
    However, I would advise that you apply and await your Notification of Entitlement letter which will show the support available to you.

    The Parents Learning Allowance and Adult Dependants Grant can be applied for online at the same time as your Tuition Fees and Maintenance Loan etc.

    For the Childcare Grant, you will need to complete a 2018/19 Childcare Grant Application form (CCG1)

    You can download your 2018/19 Childcare Grant Application form using the link below which also has more information relating to the Childcare Grant. https://www.gov.uk/childcare-grant/how-to-claim

    Hope the above helps and best of luck


    (Original post by Emma Gabriel)
    Morning ScienceMa

    Sorry I wasn't able to respond to your post last night.

    As you live in Wales, you would be best speaking to Student Finance Wales directly to see what support is available to you from them.

    Here's a link to their contact details:

    Hope the above helps

    Best of luck

    Thanks Emma! Sorry I didn't reply with reference numbers etc, I've been a bit busy at work so didn't read anything until now!

    (Original post by Emma Gabriel)
    Hello Pdotlz

    Thanks for your post.

    Unfortunately, I ran out of time yesterday evening

    You maybe eligible to apply for the Adult Dependants Grant.

    Take a look at the following link which will tell you more about this grant:

    There's also a short film which you may want to watch too. It'll explain the extra help available to student's studying full time with children or adult dependants.

    Hopefully these will help.

    Many thanks, much appreciated.
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.