Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got offers from ucl and imperial college for biomedical science. However the course is not professionally accredited, will that affect me to find a job in the future? any idea ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It will make it very awkward to get a job as a Biomedical Scientist, working in hospital laboratories. Top-up modules would be your first step so if that's the career path you want then avoid non-IBMS accredited courses at all cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    It will make it very awkward to get a job as a Biomedical Scientist, working in hospital laboratories. Top-up modules would be your first step so if that's the career path you want then avoid non-IBMS accredited courses at all cost.
    Thank you for your reply. I applied to biomed because I like the subject but that doesn’t really mean I have to be a biomedical scientist in the future. Do you think any company in general would employ me if I finish a course like this?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by himhim616)
    Thank you for your reply. I applied to biomed because I like the subject but that doesn’t really mean I have to be a biomedical scientist in the future. Do you think any company in general would employ me if I finish a course like this?
    It doesn't mean you have to, no, but being a Biomedical Scientist is the only time an IBMS-accredited degree matters. Otherwise it is irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Can I just ask what jobs can you do with biomedical science?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can either work for Pharmaceuticals or go towards the research path which includes a PhD in a field that you will find interesting and then going on towards teaching and having your own research project. Or you can apply for a job in a research centre/institute. Here it doesn't really matter if your degree is IBMS accredited, I believe it only matters if you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist in a hospital laboratory. Or you can work in a hospital laboratory in other countries if you're interested in going abroad.

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marioslemon)
    You can either work for Pharmaceuticals or go towards the research path which includes a PhD in a field that you will find interesting and then going on towards teaching and having your own research project. Or you can apply for a job in a research centre/institute. Here it doesn't really matter if your degree is IBMS accredited, I believe it only matters if you want to work as a Biomedical Scientist in a hospital laboratory. Or you can work in a hospital laboratory in other countries if you're interested in going abroad.

Hope this helped
    Really good information, thankyou

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to work in hospital labs then it shouldn't be a problem
    And congrats on the offers

ReputationRep:
    Which alevel subjects did you do and what were your grades, I want to study biomedical science in the future as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleDelight)
    If you don't want to work in hospital labs then it shouldn't be a problem
    And congrats on the offers
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomstudwnt)
    Which alevel subjects did you do and what were your grades, I want to study biomedical science in the future as well
    I did further maths, chemistry and biology. Dropped further maths on the second year.
    My predicted grades are just 3A

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to take maths ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Randomstudwnt)
    Do you have to take maths ?
    If u did a level maths on the first year and you are happy with the score, then u don’t have to do maths second year

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I’m a UE student and I’m a little bit worried with the recognition in Europe since the UK is no longer part of the Union. Could I find any problems by the time to look for jobs maybe in Europe?
    Thanks!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.